Views
Helpful
Replies

1130 AP won't clear config

luthierone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the above access point and I can't get it to work in our lwapp environment because it seems as though the "clear lwapp private-config" command isn't available. I've had this happen before, and doing the reset always seems to clear the problem. But on this ap it doesn't work, I'm not sure why. I noticed that the ios ver is a little different ( 12.3(7) JA1 ) than the others. Is there anything I can do to clear the config on it and set the lwapp params?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tate,

The problem is that this is still a fully Autonomous AP the IOS image is not a LWAPP base/recovery image. This AP will need to be converted using the LWAPP Upgrade Tool. This will load an image like 12.3(11)JX and allow the AP to join the WLC.

Preparing for the Upgrade

You must complete these tasks before beginning the upgrade from autonomous to lightweight mode:

1. Prepare the infrastructure so that the upgraded lightweight access point discovers a controller.

2. The autonomous access points must be running Cisco IOS Release 12.3(7)JA or later to perform the lightweight mode conversion. If necessary, upgrade the access point to Cisco IOS Release 12.3(7)JA or later. For C3201WMIC, upgrade to 12.3(8)JK or later.

3. Prepare the controller for the upgrade process.

4. Download the Autonomous to Lightweight Mode Upgrade Tool and the upgrade image file from Cisco.com

From this good doc;

Upgrading Autonomous Cisco Aironet Access Points to Lightweight Mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161111

12.3(11)JX

Cisco IOS Release 12.3(11)JX provides support for the lightweight access point protocol (LWAPP) for 1100, 1130, 1200, 1230, 1240, and 1300 series access points. When you use the Autonomous to Lightweight Mode upgrade tool to upgrade one of these access points to this release, the access point communicates with a Cisco wireless LAN controller and receives a full LWAPP configuration and software image from the controller. This release also functions as a recovery image if the access point fails to receive a full image from the controller.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

tpacjer
Level 1
Level 1

try doing a factory reset by holding the reset button down while plugging the power in for 15-20 seconds.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tate,

The problem is that this is still a fully Autonomous AP the IOS image is not a LWAPP base/recovery image. This AP will need to be converted using the LWAPP Upgrade Tool. This will load an image like 12.3(11)JX and allow the AP to join the WLC.

Preparing for the Upgrade

You must complete these tasks before beginning the upgrade from autonomous to lightweight mode:

1. Prepare the infrastructure so that the upgraded lightweight access point discovers a controller.

2. The autonomous access points must be running Cisco IOS Release 12.3(7)JA or later to perform the lightweight mode conversion. If necessary, upgrade the access point to Cisco IOS Release 12.3(7)JA or later. For C3201WMIC, upgrade to 12.3(8)JK or later.

3. Prepare the controller for the upgrade process.

4. Download the Autonomous to Lightweight Mode Upgrade Tool and the upgrade image file from Cisco.com

From this good doc;

Upgrading Autonomous Cisco Aironet Access Points to Lightweight Mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161111

12.3(11)JX

Cisco IOS Release 12.3(11)JX provides support for the lightweight access point protocol (LWAPP) for 1100, 1130, 1200, 1230, 1240, and 1300 series access points. When you use the Autonomous to Lightweight Mode upgrade tool to upgrade one of these access points to this release, the access point communicates with a Cisco wireless LAN controller and receives a full LWAPP configuration and software image from the controller. This release also functions as a recovery image if the access point fails to receive a full image from the controller.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks,

I actually plugged it into the network and it pulled the controller ip from dns and downloaded a new ios. Works fine now. I just don't get why it contacted the controller if it's ios was autonomous?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card