Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 switch Stacking Concerns

Shobith K
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a production network where in a single 3750 switch acts as distribution switch and its online. Now i want to add a similar switch and create a stack. What are the pre-requisites before connecting the switch and stack it. Below are my concerns, it would be great if someone throws light on it.

1) Can i add the switch to the stack when the switch to be master is powered on.

2) I want the existing online switch to be master and the master configuration should be copied on the switch which adds up.

3) Should the IOS Versions be same on both devices.

4) Apart from this can you plz suggest any precautionary measures to be taken before doing this activity.

regards,

Shobith.K

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Both switches should have the same image on them (this is safest way) . To make sure one becomes master in current switch give the switch a priority of 15 and any subsequent switches a priority lower than that. Install new switch (do not power on)

hook up stack cables correctly , then power on the new switch . Once online configure the new ports the way you want them.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Both switches should have the same image on them (this is safest way) . To make sure one becomes master in current switch give the switch a priority of 15 and any subsequent switches a priority lower than that. Install new switch (do not power on)

hook up stack cables correctly , then power on the new switch . Once online configure the new ports the way you want them.

Hi,

Glen is correct and I just want to add into that.

If the new switch is not a brand new and you are re-deploying this, then make sure you delete vlan.dat and erase nvram: to put this into factory default.

the newly added switch will not become a master as master is already active regardless of the priority. You can change priorities once both are active to elect the master.

HTH

Shaheen

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card