cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will updating my IPS license on a 5520 interrupt traffic?

ttrevino1
Level 1
Level 1

I need to update my IPS licenses and didn't know if doing this would cause a traffic interruption or require a reboot to the IPS? Thanks, Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can apply and/or upgrade a license on a running sensor without interupting traffic. Signature updates and Service Packs DO interupt traffic if your IPS is in-line.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

No, the license is only checked when the sensor attempts to apply a signature update. If the sensor does not have a valid license, the update is not applied. The sensor will still perform as normal, with no interuption in operations, aside from having stale signatures.

So I have 2 IPS modules to update the license on, one with a current license that will expire in November, and one that doesn't have a license at all, to which I have been assigned a trial license until Cisco completes the license agreement and assigns the permanent one.

Either way, I can either update or apply the trial license without interrupting traffic?

Also, when an updated signature is applied, does that affect traffic?

Thanks for the help, Tony

Yes, you can apply and/or upgrade a license on a running sensor without interupting traffic. Signature updates and Service Packs DO interupt traffic if your IPS is in-line.

Thanks! That answers my questions! :o)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card