cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deploying Exchange 2007 into a Unity 4.0(4) environment

3dperrier
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Unity 4.04 server currently with an Exchange 2003 partner. We would like to deploy an Exchange 2007 into the environment but we will be keeping the Unity 4.04 server partnered to the existing Exchange 2003 server until we are ready to go to Unity 5. My concern is that the deployment of Exchange 2007 makes changes to the Active Directory schema, and Unity has hooks into Active Directory. Will Unity 4.04 continue to work with the changes to the Active Directory schema?

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will be fine. If you were using Unity with Exchange 2007, then you need to have Schema updates. As long as Unity 4x stays with Exchange 2003 as it's partner, you will be fine. It gets a little more complicated if you are pure 2007. You can't go back to 2003 after that. If the Org started with 2003, and there is a 2007 introduced, Unity will be fine. But if you had a pure 2007 Exchange Org, then you could NOT add 2003 to the mix. (fro what I understand) But being 2003 and 2007 can "live" in the same Org, Unity will not have a problem.

I have not personally upgraded yet, but very soon. Everything I have read pretty much states what I said. You can see if more feedback from other forum members helps also.

Glad to hear that. We're hoping to do the Exchange 2007 this weekend. I'll post how it goes.

Just out of curiosity does this mean that as long as Unity 4.X is partnered with an Exchange 2003 server you can have mailboxes that reside on a seperate Exchange 2007 server associated with voice mail?

Nope. You will need a Unity 5.x server for any subscribers homed on the Exchange 2007.

Your network could look like this:

Unity 4.x with Exchange 2003 (XYZ Exchange Org)

Unity 5.x with Exchange 2007 (XYZ Exchange Org)

All servers in the same domain, forest, etc. Unity is digitally networked for messages to be forwarded, directory lookup, etc.

Hi -

In case you have digitally networked Unity servers with license pooling, you will want to check out this link - http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCsg49334%22%20%5Co%20%22

There is an ES required to allow license pooling between Unity 4.X and 5.X servers.

Ginger