Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I troubeshoot IDSM freeze/reboot

hoffa2000
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all

I have two IDSM2 in two 6500 running 6.0(3)E1. Both of these IDSM are rebooting several times per day. They are running at around 60-70% CPU set in promiscuous mode monitoring three VLANs filtered on two gigabit trunks each.

The only thing I see on the 6500s is "18150: Card in module 5, is being power-cycled off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)" just before they reboot.

Where do I start? Is there a crashinfo to collect?

The IDSMs were delivered as "refurbished" with 4.1 installed, I have since upgraded them to 5.1.6-E1 and then to 6.0(3)E1. Is this setup too much to handle for the IDSM?

Regards

Fredrik Hofgren

3 Replies 3

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

Can you provide the following:

What is connected to the IDS, configs,and a topology?

eweigl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Frederic,

I have exactly the same problem, the only difference: my IDS boots once a week.

I had opened a TAC case (SR 606916833). The problem will be solved with a new SW version in February (see bug CSCsj49640).

Regards and good luck,

Eckhard

After some traffic and inspection tuning it seems to me that it was the amount of traffic that caused this problem for me. When I decreased the inspected traffic from vlans (some 500mbit/sec) to specific interfaces AND lowered the packet logging the IDSM stopped rebooting.

Still, a software update would be nice

/Fredrik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card