Error Using Logrot.pl to rotate Syslog files

Answered Question
Oct 25th, 2007

Hello, I am trying to use the logrot.pl on a CiscoWorks LMS 2.6 server running Windows 2000. I get this error message:

Failed to get a successful value back from C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot_stat.exe, using Perl stat instead (note: this will f ail for files > 4 GB).

If I manually run the logrot_stat.exe command, I instantly get a value. Is there a way to fix or get around this error?

Thanks, Bob Schlifke

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 9 years 1 month ago

There is a bug in logrot that I recently fixed that could account for this. The fix has been rolled into LMS 3.0, but has not made it to 2.6 yet. As a workaround, use logrot_trunc.exe on the log files greater than 2 GB. Once they are less than 2 GB, logrot will be able to successfully rotate them going forward.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Thu, 10/25/2007 - 07:57

There is a bug in logrot that I recently fixed that could account for this. The fix has been rolled into LMS 3.0, but has not made it to 2.6 yet. As a workaround, use logrot_trunc.exe on the log files greater than 2 GB. Once they are less than 2 GB, logrot will be able to successfully rotate them going forward.

Actions

This Discussion