cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIMG Unity Meridian DDGD Issue

nrichie
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that recently migrated all their Nortel Meridian users to Unity voicemail through a PIMG. They had conducted a test pilot that went very well but have discovered an issue affecting about 20 out of 800 users, which includes the president & vice-president. For these 20 users, the Nortel as "DDGD" enabled which, from my understanding, blocks the caller ID from being displayed. This creates 2 problems - the first is that when unanswered calls are forwarded to the Unity server for any of these users, Unity does not know where to route the call to. The second is that when any user tries to check their messages, again, Unity does not know where to route the call to, so both of these types of calls are dumped to a general mailbox.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how I can work around this issue? I am familiar with CCM/Unity, but very limited on Nortel Meridian knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Nathan,

I thought that this was an interesting question as we run a Nortel - Cisco Hybrid as well. We do not use DDGD on any phones so I thought I would lab this up and try it out. Well, the news is not good :( Because the CLID is hidden on these phones and is applied at the Device level there is no real workaround that accomplishes all requirements.

If the Management is stuck on not displaying their numbers (for these 20 phones) the best that I can suggest is to remove the DDGD and replace it with a new LDN that masks the numbers for Outgoing calls

Example: Key 0 SCR 7500 2 (where 2 designates this new Masked number in the configs)

I can't see any other method that will still allow Forwarding to VM and the use of the Message Key.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to lab it up and test it. I am going to get back with the client with your recommendations on the LDN. Unfortunately, I have little to no Nortel PBX experience.

Thanks again, it helps alot,

Nathan

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could have it roll to a second line after their primary does not answer for 1 ring, then forward to Voicemail with that second line. Create an Alternate Extension for them in Unity from their Primary.

It's kind a silly situation. If someone dials into Unity Directory Handler, and punch in John Doe President, Unity will announce their Extension. (unless they are hidden from the address book or not listed)

cheers!

Tcatlinins,

I appreciate your feedback. I was actually thinking of a work around like you described, but you bring up an excellent point about Unity announcing their extensions.

regards

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey TCAT/Nathan,

In my tests I tried many combinations of Secondary Lines,Alternate Extensions and "middle-man" virtual numbers that would forward from the DDGD phone and then forward to the VM Pilot #. The problem was that the DDGD is applied at the Device Level so any call that routes through this phone has the CLID stripped off.

The other thing I finally decided was that even if you could get this to work (which I couldn't) the Message key would never work due to the CLID issue.

The LDN method seemed to be the best bet :)

Sorry about that!

Rob

Thanks Rob for the time and comments.

rlp

Hi Randy,

Thanks man! It is always worth taking a few minutes out of our life to try and help someone out :) You never know when the shoe will be on the other foot. I know that you subscribe to this thinking as well, due to the fact that I see all sorts of great help you offer people here all the time!

Take care Randy and Thanks again,

Rob

I believe the part number for the shoe is:

UCCX-45-CM-SHOE-RIGHT

UCCX-45-CM-SHOE-LEFT

It's Friday right??

Good stuff TCAT! It is always a real pleasure to have your input and humor in these forums. 5 points for making this a great experience!

Take care my friend :)

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: