cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM without any sticky

carlsond
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up a real basic configuration with a verver on port 80 pointing to a serverfarm with two servers. I have no sticky enabled and no persistent rebalance on the vserver. If I go to the URL that points to the VIP the connection is made with the 1st server. If I hit refresh or close and reopen the browser the connection stays active for about one minute. I need every refresh to alternate between the two servers. Why does this connection stay active so long with no sticky? How can I get around this?

Thank you,

8 Replies 8

diro
Level 1
Level 1

"no persistent rebalance" is your problem. By nature all browsers use http/1.1. This means when a browser opens a connection to get the html page, they will keep the connection open for all the following requests and this even for a few minutes.

When I have persistent rebalance enabled I see the same behavior. I have a server that is going to send data to the VIP about every five seconds and I need to balance those data bursts. Any ideas?

the CSM does not rebalance a connection if there is no need to [ie: no cookie info pointing to a different server].

Nothing you can do about it.

Only solution would be to force your server to close the connection immediately after transmitting each data.

Gilles.

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the connection stays active until we get a RESET or FIN or if it times out - the default idle timeout is 60 minutes.

When you click refresh, the browser does not necessarily close the connection to open a new one.

Gilles.

60 minutes or seconds because it looks like one minute? Is there a way to change that default behavior? If so can it be done for a vserver or is it a global command?

Thanks...

60 minutes or seconds because it looks like one minute? Is there a way to change that default behavior? If so can it be done for a vserver or is it a global command?

Thanks...

you can control the idle timeout with the vserver command 'idle'.

The default is 3600 seconds.

Reducing the idle timeout to force the CSM to drop the connection in order to rebalance the next request might not be the best solution.

You can endup with more trouble with a low idle timeout.

Definitely you will kill your performance because the client will have to reopen a connection [new tcp 3-way handshake].

Are you really sure it is important to rebalance every request ???

Gilles.

In this case yes. All requests will be coming from a single device at about 5 second intervals. If we don't force the CSM to balance that traffic we will never utilize the second server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: