when i use show interfaces command

it says

WLAN 2 is administratively down, line protocl down

the same is true for VLAN 3

what is the problem ..

any one can tell me

6 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

3500XL is a layer 2 switch. It can have only one vlan interface active at any given time.

If you shut down interface vlan 1 then one of the other VLAN interfaces would come up.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

mikeallison
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Can you confirm you have a cable plugged into atleast 1 of the VLAN ports? iirc you need to have an active connection per vlan for the vlan to come online.. dont quote me on this though.. i'm still half asleep.

Cheers, Michael.

HI,

i agree with Michael.

Connect atleast one active (device) interface per vlan (ie., to VLAN2 and VLAN3) to get the VLAN Status UP.

Else, the VLAN will be adminis... DOWN only.

DO RATE all HELPFUL POSTS.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

3500XL can have only one VLAN management interface up at a time.

bryanta
Level 1
Level 1

You need to add and interface to those vlans using the switchport access vlan command and a devices must be connected. On the 6500 and CatOS there's an autostate feature that prevents this from happening.

Sorry, but I disagree. The 3500XL is an old layer-2 switch like the 2912XL. On those, you were only allowed one VLAN interface up at a time, for management purposes. It was always up, regardless of whether there were ports configured and up in that VLAN. If you configured a second one, that was down. no shut the second one up, and the first one goes down.

It was nothing like the VLAN interfaces in a 3550.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

6 Replies 6

3500XL is a layer 2 switch. It can have only one vlan interface active at any given time.

If you shut down interface vlan 1 then one of the other VLAN interfaces would come up.

HTH

Sundar

mikeallison
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Can you confirm you have a cable plugged into atleast 1 of the VLAN ports? iirc you need to have an active connection per vlan for the vlan to come online.. dont quote me on this though.. i'm still half asleep.

Cheers, Michael.

HI,

i agree with Michael.

Connect atleast one active (device) interface per vlan (ie., to VLAN2 and VLAN3) to get the VLAN Status UP.

Else, the VLAN will be adminis... DOWN only.

DO RATE all HELPFUL POSTS.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

3500XL can have only one VLAN management interface up at a time.

bryanta
Level 1
Level 1

You need to add and interface to those vlans using the switchport access vlan command and a devices must be connected. On the 6500 and CatOS there's an autostate feature that prevents this from happening.

Sorry, but I disagree. The 3500XL is an old layer-2 switch like the 2912XL. On those, you were only allowed one VLAN interface up at a time, for management purposes. It was always up, regardless of whether there were ports configured and up in that VLAN. If you configured a second one, that was down. no shut the second one up, and the first one goes down.

It was nothing like the VLAN interfaces in a 3550.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco