cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Conversion

hmjgriffon
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 7940 IP phone, I am trying to change it from SCCP to SIP. I downloaded the P0S3-08-2-00.zip file from cisco that contains:

P0S3-08-2-00.loads

P0S3-08-2-00.sb2

P003-08-2-00.bin

P003-08-2-00.sbn

I set up a tftp server on my laptop and I can ping the phone it has all the right IP info, but it wont load the files and I can't do a PUT. I read that since my phone has version 3.2 firmware on it I may need to do a 3.2 version of SIP before I can upgrade. Can anyone help? I can't find the old firmware on cisco.com anywhere. Or am I just doing something wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I don't think you can delete the two ringtones but you should be able to upload your own.

By now you're comfortable enough with tftp and all that, just search for ringlist.xml, and the file format specifications.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First, the phone needs to get a valid TFTP address via DHCP or static. On your PC with TFTP there should be also a a file like SEP.cnf.xml, that contains the correct load information.

If upgrading straight to 8.x fails, upgrade on SCCP in steps, like 6,7,8 and the you should be able to switch to SIP.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

I was reading here about the upgrade scenarios http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4967/products_upgrade_guides09186a008022a968.html and I decided that I only want to go to SIP 4.4 . I am going from SCCP 3.2 so the instructions say

Procedure B

1. Copy the desired binary image from Cisco.com to the root directory of the TFTP server.

2. Open the OS79XX.TXT file with a text editor and change the file to include the desired image.

3. Specify the desired image in the protocol configuration files.

4. Reset each phone.

I want to manage the phone locally, so do I just need the OS79XX.TXT and the SIPDefault.cnf file?

Hmjgriffon,

Change file name of P003-08-2-00.bin to P0S3-08-2-00.bin. After this process you need to change bin filename to original value, so it will be P003-08-2-00.bin and OS79XX.TXT need to have value P003-08-2-00.

As stated previously I would recommend that you download and apply 8.8. You will need SIPDefault.cnf, but if you are going to manually configure the phone then SIP.cnf will not be required. The SIPDefault.cnf will need one minor edit with you image name e.g

image_version: P0S3-08-2-00

hth,

Ajaz

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

There should be a file called OS79XX.TXT

Open this file using notepad and edit with correct image file. So, for example:

P0S3-08-2-00

Have you completed this, and is the file available in the TFTP root directory?

Have you considered downloading the latest i.e. 8.8 ?

Come back to us if you still are unable to resolve. I've done the upgrade so not to worry - we will get you there.

Ajaz

Here is my status so far. No matter what I try the phone will either say opening 192.168.0.1 (my laptop) or something like CM defaulting to tftp server. I last thing I tried was P0S3-04-4-00 in my TFTP root directory I had the files

P0S3-04-4-00.bin

OS79XX.TXT

SIPDefault.cnf

inside of OS79XX.TXT I had this:

P0S3-04-4-00

inside of SIPDefault.cnf I have:

#Image Version

image_version:P0S3-04-4-00 ;

#Proxy server address

proxy1_address: 192.168.0.1 ;

#Subdirectory config file location

tftp_cfg_dir: /

does that all look right? Maybe this crappy tftp server program I found isn't working right? I didn't see 8.8 on cisco's website, the only one they had was P0S3-08-2-00, I found a website with P0S3-08-6-00 is that what your talking about? what should I look for on the phone as far as status messages to know if I am doing it right?

Hi,

So you don't see what file the phone is requesting?

Please use tftpd32.exe that has a clear log window. It is free software.

Once you feed the phone with the right files, it will upgrade.

I got tftp32.exe I will try it and let you know what happens.

Paulo - it's not that straight forward. Just do a search on google in order to discover the how many folks go through this headache. You only have to recall how many times we have seen the request on this forum let alone other voip user groups.

To this end I have decided to produce a definitive guide for this forum, providing a verified step-by-step procedure. It just means that I must go through the whole palava once again but document this time around. You will hopefully see something in the next couple of days.

Watch this space...

Ajaz

I would just tell people to only use tftp32 haha it seems to be the only one that works with cisco stuff. So anyways I got the firmware onto my phone and everything, and after much tinkering I got my gizmo SIP account set up on it, I even got some more ring tones set up on it, but there were 2 on the phone that I guess came with the firmware and I don't know how to delete them? I am using 4.4 firmware because I don't want to be locked into cisco signed firmware and not able to load up some 3rd party firmware at some point and I cant find a place in the phone to delete ring tones.

Hi,

I don't think you can delete the two ringtones but you should be able to upload your own.

By now you're comfortable enough with tftp and all that, just search for ringlist.xml, and the file format specifications.

I see a NAT setting in the SIP configuration, does anyone know what situation that is for? When I was setting up my phone I was connecting it straight to my laptop with a network cable and had ICS set up between the internal wireless and ethernet going to the phone, when I went to test it I could call my friend but the call couldn't seem to get back to me, does the phone need port forwarding on my router?

Yes you need to forward udp port 5060 to the phone. A cisco router would not need that because of "intelligent nat".

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Hi

I'm facing the similar issue below r the details

SCCP--> 7.0 (2) to SIP 8.X/6.X/5.X

I had tried with all the mentioned SIP versions getting the below error

Read request for file . Mode octet [05/02 11:22:15.933]

File : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [05/02 11:22:15.933]

Connection received from 172.16.65.78 on port 50292 [05/02 11:22:53.279]

Read request for file . Mode octet [05/02 11:22:53.279]

File : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [05/02 11:22:53.279]

Connection received from 172.16.65.78 on port 50293 [05/02 11:22:53.294]

Read request for file . Mode octet [05/02 11:22:53.294]

File : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [05/02 11:22:53.294]

Connection received from 172.16.65.78 on port 50294 [05/02 11:22:53.310]

Read request for file . Mode octet [05/02 11:22:53.310]

File : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [05/02 11:22:53.310]

Here 172.16.65.78 is the IP Phone IP

I had attached the OS79XX and the default.cnf file for your refference

Pls assist

Thanx in Advance

Madan

Hi

After the long strugule i'm seeing the ph boot with the SIP load 5.0 but it shows phone r in UNPROVISONED state

I'm getting the below msg in TFTP

ad request for file . Mode octet [05/02 12:25:22.921]

File : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [05/02 12:25:22.921]

I had chkd the OS79XX.txt for the format

Any inputs

Thanx in Advance

Madan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: