cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7971G-GE upgrade gone bad

gcobb
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7971G-GE that locked up in the middle of a firmware upgrade. When I plug in the power brick the "Headset", "Mute", and "Speaker" buttons light in sequence and the "Speaker" light stays lit but the phone does not attempt to get an IP address from my DHCP server or talk to the network in any way. I have verified this with a sniffer, and I have other phones working so I know my network is configured properly. I have attempted to do a factory reset by holding down the # button and powering up the phone with a power brick but the line lights never flash, even after holding the # button for 10 minutes. I connected to the phone with a serial cable and pasted below the output I captured during boot. It appears to me that the file system has become corrupted. Can anyone verify this and point me in the direction of correcting the problem. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

CNU 3.1(1.15); Mar 21 2006 21:51:25

Copyright (c) 2001-2005 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

vSwitch: SW_PORT_PHY: PHY_ID_1_REG 0x141

vSwitch: SW_PORT_PHY: PHY_ID_2_REG 0xc26

vSwitch: SW_PORT_MAC: SWITCH_ID_REG 0xac12

SYSMSG: Last reboot cause -> Power Loss

-->init: ver 3.7(1.4)

-->init: Starting syslogd...

-->syslogd: [2] ver 3.0 (2.0)

-->syslogd: waiting for filesystem...

8 Replies 8

Live2 Bicycle
Level 3
Level 3

Here is what I have had to do when a 7970 crashed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00801d66cb.html#wp1087544

Factory Reset

A factory reset of the Cisco IP Phone restores the phone is reset to its factory state. This procedure reloads the default firmware image, deletes call histories from the call logs, and resets all configuration settings to their factory values.

To perform a factory reset of a phone, perform the following steps. The phone must be on a network that supports DHCP.

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.

The phone begins its power up cycle.

Step 2 While the phone is powering up, and before the Speaker button flashes on and off, press #.

Each line button flashes on and off in sequence.

Step 3 Press 123456789*0#.

You can press a key twice in a row, but if you press the keys out of sequence, the factory reset will not take place.

After you press these keys, the phone will go through the factory reset process.

If this does not work you will have to RMA phone back to Cisco. Out of our 400 7970 phones I have only had to return 6 phones becasue the reset did not work.

Hope this helps.

gcobb
Level 1
Level 1

/Quote "I have attempted to do a factory reset by holding down the # button and powering up the phone with a power brick but the line lights never flash, even after holding the # button for 10 minutes." /quote

Been there, done that, didn't work.....

I see an RMA in my future...

Thanks

Glenn

Hi guys - I just had an experience like this with 7941's after upgrading firmware for DST. Some 7941's came up fine others did not. Did reset seq and the rest with no success. Finaly was going to RMA phones; before I did that we recycled the POE's(6509) that the phones connect to and the 3750's upstream (dhcp lives here). After doing that I looked in the 3750 logs and saw tons of IP conflicts. So I did a "clear ip dhcp conflict *" cmd and bam - phones started to register again and even ones that said they were "Upgrading" finally did so and came up.

Now my only issue is 2 phones reboot on their own at random times and I cannot login/out multiple times ina row without the phone freezing. I changed everything from the phone, UDP they log in with, the extension they use, changed the cable path from the jack back to the 6509, changed the port to a different blade/port etc no good.

I hope my experience helps someone out. We went from SCCP41.8-0 to SCCP41.8-3-2 on the firmware.

Hi,

Can you try 8.2(2)SR4 on the phones? 8.3.x still has many bugs.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

OK, I can try to set that up. Why would Cisco recommend to install 8-3-2SR1S if they know it has bugs? I wouldn't have done so if I knew that. Thanks for the suggestion; I will look it up and read about that version.

Whats the difference between these two:

cmterm-7941_7961-sccp.8-2-2SR4.exe

7941/7961 SCCP SCCP IP Phone load - Compatible CCM Versions: 3.3, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 8.2(2) SR4 05-JUN-2007 5229135

cmterm-7941_7961-sccp.8-2-2SR4.zip

7941/7961 SCCP IP Phone firmware files only - Compatible CCM Versions: 3.3, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2

Do they work for DST?

Hi,

just the packaging is different. exe for "automated" install, zip for firmware files only.

They had the DST fix for the former change and I think for the Nov. one too.

Consider that the also the CM must be at very latest patchlevel to work correctly.

Hi Paolo,

I just rec'd an email from my TAC engineer suggesting I upgrade to 8.3.3 - what a joke. The std answer as usual.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: