can not add a vlan on cisco 876

raulblanco122
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I' trying to add a vlan on vlan database of a cisco 876, but it says to me:

Router#vlan database

Router(vlan)#vlan 2

Vlan can not be added. Maximum number of 1 vlan(s) in the database.

why I can't add a new vlan?

I have the c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-4.T7 image.

thanks

7 Replies 7

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

The VLAN database is relevant to switches, not to routers.

I presume your router is connected to a switch that can handle VLANs. That is where you need to create your layer-2 VLANs. If you want your router to connect to a VLAN, say VLAN 2, then you have to do it something like this:

interface f0.2

encapsulation dot1q 2

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

Repeat that for however many VLANs you want to route.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Don't forget to trunk the port on your switch. Also check the model of the switch. Some switches only run dot1q, others (older switches) like to run isl.

Make sure your encapsulation matches between both devices.

a.cruea1980
Level 3
Level 3

You need the Adv. IP Services image. The Adv. Security doesn't handle multiple VLANs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

Read down about half-way.

shyam.rao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

According to the features on cisco 870 series routers all the ethernet ports are layer 2 nor layer 3 it means u cannot assign ipaddress and more over all the 4 ethernet ports are in the vlan 1 and this ciso 876 supports only one VLAN and no more vlans.

Hope this info is help and if i am wrong and if u were able to create a 2nd VLAN,please let me know how to do it.

regards,

Shyam.

Hello!

Ok,

I'm able to create 2 or more VLAN's:

I couldn't create the second VLAN when I had the default IOS, but with another IOS you can create various VLAN's.

regards. Raul

Hi Raul,

what is the IOS image that you are using allows to create a second VLAN.?

Thanks in Advance,

Shyam

Hello.

the IOS i'm using is adventerprisek 12.4 (15)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: