cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problem with device package update for RME

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I did a fresch installation of LMS 2.5.1 updated to LMS 2.6 and installed all available application patches; platform win2k, SP 4;

I wanted to install the lates RME device packages which I have locally on the server seperated in 3 directories for the Lib-packages, Shared_packages and Device_packages.

Started the dev pkg installtion with 'psucli' and got the following output:

D:\software\LMS2.6-Patch\rme\RMEpackages\Lib-Packages>psucli -p rme -i -src .\ LibCommon LibInventory LibSwim

Services might be restarted, as a result of install operation

Would you like to continue ? ( Press y or n )

y

Proceeding with install..

Loaded psu.properties..

INFO: Installing for rme

Locking the package repository...

got all packages Repository

Checking Dependencies...

Stopping the services....Please hold on.

Stopping services..

Services successfully stopped

Committing package LibCommon(1.3.1)

Committing package LibInventory(1.11.1)

Committing package LibSwim(1.8.1)

Failed to commit package SharedNetconfigCable(1.2)

Please have a look at the log files

Failed to commit package SharedNetconfigCatOS(1.2)

Failed to commit package SharedNetconfigContentEngine(1.2)

Failed to commit package SharedNetconfigCSS(1.3)

Failed to commit package SharedNetconfigFastSwitch(1.2)

Failed to commit package SharedNetconfigIOS(1.2)

[... snipped...]

when I loog into psu.log I see that e.g. ShareNetconfiIOS should be installed with the LMS 2.6 update (timestamps in the log match the one of starting the LSM2.6update [was oct 25]) and seemd to be installed (no error in psu.log for this).

But when I Installed the Lib packages today [oct 26] I got the above errors on cli along with these in the psu.log:

[...snipped]

[ Fri Oct 26 12:32:47 CEST 2007 ] ERROR [PackageInstaller : commitAllPackages] : java.lang.NullPointerException

[ Fri Oct 26 12:32:47 CEST 2007 ] ERROR [PackageInstaller : LogAndUpdateEvent] : failed to commit WLSE(3.0)

[ Fri Oct 26 12:32:47 CEST 2007 ] ERROR [PackageInstaller : commitAllPackages] : java.lang.NullPointerException

[ Fri Oct 26 12:32:47 CEST 2007 ] INFO [PackageInstaller : commitAndResync] : commiting package done, calling resynch of installed repository..

[ Fri Oct 26 12:32:47 CEST 2007 ] INFO [SimpleProgress : progressInfo] : Progress: Updating installed repository...

[ Fri Oct 26 12:32:48 CEST 2007 ] INFO [PackageInstaller : StartServicesIfRequired] : Starting services. It takes some time to start the services.

[ Fri Oct 26 12:37:15 CEST 2007 ] INFO [PackageManager : installPackages] : Releasing lock...

[ Fri Oct 26 12:37:15 CEST 2007 ] INFO [PackageManager : installPackages] : Creating maps in d:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\www\classpath\com\cisco\nm\xms\psu\pkgs\rme

[ Fri Oct 26 12:37:42 CEST 2007 ] WARN [CreateMaps : createPackageMaps] : oid : 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.5.19 not found in

[...snipped...]

What is the cause the the lms2.6 update does not correctly updates the pkg info or is there another failure I do not see?

Attached is the full psu.log along with the CLI output from psucli.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The TEMP and TMP environment variable problem was been known to affect package installations for RME and CV as well as regdaemon.xml updates.

Since you say you fixed the TEMP and TMP values prior to installation, the problem must lie elsewhere. Unfortunately, since debug was not enabled, this log is not very helpful. I see a NullPointerException, but I don't see any other relevant details that would point to why this is occurring.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Has anybody else observed problems with RME device packages while installing the LMS2.6 Bundle update?

-I think I would not have seen these errors if I would have used the GUI to install the latest RME pkgs because the installation of the selected packages ended sucessfully.

As a workaround I extracted the pkgs for which 'Failed to commit...' was listed from the LMS2.6 bundle update and installed them successfully with psucli - but I am still looking for a reason why the installation of these pkgs failed during normal bundle udate. And these pkgs (or some of them) are not available on CCO...

any comments highly appreciated!

The most common cause for packages not installing on Windows is the TEMP and TMP environment variable values. We see this problem all the time when the values point to directories that contain non-DOS 8.3 filenames. This is the default on Windows 2003. Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce this in-house. The bug I opened on this was closed.

The workaround for users seeing this problem is trivial. Just set the per-user and global TEMP and TMP environment variables to something short like C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, then perform the LMS installation(s). The result should be much better.

Thanks for the response! You are right, the TEMP and TMP env vars were set to '%Userprofile%\Local Settings.....' but I changed this before starting the installation, so this was not an issue here.

Ok, I think it cannot be investigated in depth afterwards - the only thing I am still concerned about is that the bundle installation finshed without problems even some (and only some, not all) RME pkgs did not get installed properly. But does this problem affects only RME pkg or other RME parts as well?

The TEMP and TMP environment variable problem was been known to affect package installations for RME and CV as well as regdaemon.xml updates.

Since you say you fixed the TEMP and TMP values prior to installation, the problem must lie elsewhere. Unfortunately, since debug was not enabled, this log is not very helpful. I see a NullPointerException, but I don't see any other relevant details that would point to why this is occurring.

I will have a look at regdaemon.xml then. I have nothing noticed with CV pkgs - but there are less dependenies so perhaps that is why I did not noticed any problems. - Just the problems with RME are annoying as they are not obvious...

Thanks for yor time!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: