cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems when updating RME device packages from local filesystem

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

platform win2k, SP4, LMS 2.6 (latest patchlevel cm, dfm x.0.9, CS,RME x.0.5)

I downloaded all RME device package intoone directory and started the 'Device Updaet' for RME form GUI;

as there are different versions for each device in the dir, all versions for each pkg get listed in the GUI; Some of the pkgs in the dir are for RME 4.1 and not RME 4.0.5 but I selected only the pkgs for RME 4.0.5; starting the update fails because of dependency errors for the pkgs for which there are versions for RME 4.1 available in the dir.

So I assume the process does not respect the selection and always takes the highest available version for each pkg type.

Has anybody else observed this behaviour and is this like 'works as designed.. ' or 'works like a bug..' ?

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is working as designed. You cannot point an installation job to a directory that contains both RME 4.0.5 and 4.1 packages. If you do, you will have to only select the RME 4.0.5 packages.

But I did selected ONLY the device packages for RME 4.0.5 and it seems this selection wasn't respected. The installation failed because of the packages for RME 4.1 but these packages wasn't selected. Removing them from the dir let the installation run without any problem. I have got the feeling that Device Update always takes the highest version for a package if there are multiple versions available in the dir - even if only a lower version was selected for to install.

Oh, I follow you. Yes, that will be the case. I agree that downloading manually from Cisco.com can be a hassle since it's easiest just to download everything into one directory. However, when PSU sees two packages that provide the same package name, it will opt for the latest version.

so I think it is an inconsitency in the workflow- 'Device update' shows every packages and its version in the GUI and has the option to select specific versions but then PSU does not respect this selection. I assume 'Device Update' only forwards the pkg name of the selected packages to PSU and not the version and PSU checks for the highest available version..

- if that's right would it be hard to port that part of code that checks for the version from PSU to Device Update so that only the highest version would show up in the GUI?

Another question to PSU:

when using a local pkg store (not CCO) I have to take care about the dependencies myself. Is it right that when using the GUI and CCO for device updates this is done automatically ?

If yes, does this procedure use the XML file in the dir on CCO and can this file/information also be used while performing an off-line pkg update to make this procedure easier ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco