cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design Question

bmcmahan
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to re-design a LAN with 2950G-48's with a maximum of 300 nodes. Most of the workstations are Windows XP and they only run one app. The problem is the app is run from the server and is creating bottlenecks to my users. I have 6 of the 48 port 2950's and am looking at trying to get the most bandwidth to my servers as possible for backup etc. My question would be, is it worth it to go to an aggregate switch ie. 3750G-12s for this purpose or would a regular gigabit switch perform this job just as well.

2 Replies 2

bbayer
Level 1
Level 1

I would go with the 3750G-12 and make a hub and spoke type topology, with each spoke being a 2G etherchannel out to each 2950G. This should improve your throughput considerably. If you are still having issues, you could get a second 3750G and stack them. Then connect the 2950G with the servers via a 4G or 6G etherchannel.

You should also consider the horsepower and connectivity of your server.

Brian ": )

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Your server where the app is running is the bottleneck indeed. As long as this server does not perform at a speed over 1Gb, it is hardly usefull to increase the bandwidth in the switched network.

2950 switches are 10/100Mb with 1Gb uplinks. Where is the server connected currently?

If the server is connected at 100Mb, it would be worthwhile to upgrade it's link to Gigabit.

Another gain could perhaps be made by connecting the 2950 switches with dedicated GBIC's. Using the bus where all WS-X3500XL's are stacked puts the bus in half duplex mode. Stacking the switches in a 1 to 1 fashion will give you 1Gb full duplex.

Ideally, you can use a concentrator switch where all switches and the server are connected via Gigabit. This may be a 3560 as well.

regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card