Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Error Message

jwright
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting the following error message on my catalyst 6506 switches:

2007 Oct 26 13:41:21 EST -04:00 %MCAST-5-RX_IGMPREPORT: IGMP: Rcvd IGMP Report 01-00-5e-00-00-02 on 3/11

I receive the message on numerous trunk ports and the multicast MAC will vary.

The only info I've found online is that the message is informational only. I am seeing tons of these messages and would like to know if it's normal and what should be done about it.... if anything.

3 Replies 3

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

This may be a cause of concern . Typically the address range 224.0.x will map to the multicast mac of 01-00-5e-00-00-xx. What the switch is complaining about is that some one is sending an IGMP join for a group that should be used by only control protocols like OSPF , PIM , EIGRP etc. The key is to always use a multicast ip with a non-zero second and 3rd octet so that it never maps to the mac address that falls into a range of control protocols. This problem is due to 32:1 mapping of Multicast ip to mac addresses. What that means is potentially 32 multicast ip addresses could have the same mac address. For example 224.0.0.1 , 225.0.0.1 , 239.0.0.1 will all map to 0100.5e00.0001 . Now even though 225.0.0.1 and 239.0.0.1 have nothing to do with control protocols and should be perfectly fine to be used by users , the mac addres however ends up mapping to a well-known mac address and hence the syslog message that you are seeing . using a multicast ip with non-zero second and 3rd octet will result in multicast ip never mapping to a well known mac address.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Salman.

Thanks for the input. Are you saying that the join message could possibly be originating from one source? As I said I am seeing this on just about every trunk link I have configured on the 6506. It is used as a distribution layer switch and has no end users connected to it only access layer switches. Would I get these messages if it were legitimate control traffic?

Legitimate control traffic would not send the join message on this address , so the answer to that would be No.

As to why you are getting this message , that just means you have some clients connected to access switches that are sending join messages on lets say 239.0.0.2 0100.5e00.0002 ( I am using 239.0.0.2 just as an example ) which is relayed by your access switches upto the dist. switch.

Keep inmind that there could be upt 32 multicast ips that map to 0100.5e00.0002.And out of those 32 IPs , only one is a control address 224.0.0.2 .

So any time , the users use any of the other 31 IPs that map to this mac address , you will get this message.

All it is as I said are some clients wanting to join some grp ( for example 225.0.0.2 , 226.0.0.2 etc ) that end up mapping to a well known multicast mac and system complains about it.

Thanks

Salman.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: