cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compact Flash Cards in 6500 Series

lukebrennan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a 6506 switch using a sup720, the ios image was accidentally deleted from the bootflash. I understand its not possible to use xmodem to upload a new image, only through a flash card.

My question is can I just purchase any Compact Flash II card, is there a limit, are we forced to use Cisco's flash cards?

Thanks for the help,

Luke

9 Replies 9

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luke,

I will always recommend you to use Cisco Flash Card as many third party cards are not supported and if it works even it may crash your switch.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/ol_4498.htm#wp410962

HTH

Ankur

So it is possible?

I'm sure others have ran into this question.

-Luke

To be honest compact flash is compact flash as long as you use the correct type . We have seen cisco gear come in with flash made by San-disk . The ones you buy in the computer store for $50 will cost you a lot more if ordered thru cisco , if you have some problem they just won't support you if say you have a box that keeps hanging . Use a compact flash II and format it before using it .

Makes sense to me.

Just wanted to see if anyone out there had experience.

My problem is that upon a reboot of a 6506 (1 sup720) i'm stuck in rommon. I'm not sure what happend here but when doing a listing of the sup-bootflash the following is shown:

rommon 33 > dir bootflash:

File size Checksum File name

40941680 bytes (0x270b870) 0x3dd6292b s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17a.SX3.bin (deleted)

I'm guessing somehow that this file was deleted? Why is it still showing up, and is there a way to recover it?

If not there's no alternative to getting this back online? I don't have any flash cards available at the moment....

-Luke

Have you tried if the "undelete" command works in rommon?. With undelete you can recover files that are marked as deleted. You need to discover the file index with dir sup-bootflash:, but i don't know if this command works in rommon.

-Stephan

rommon 35 > undelete

monitor: command "undelete" not found

rommon 36 > undelete bootflash:s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17a.SX3.bin

monitor: command "undelete" not found

rommon 37 >

:(

Yeah unfortunetly you have a problem if you have no bootable image in sup-bootflash or a external flashcard . Hopefully you have a spare 6500 around or in production you can copy from .

Not sure what options you have available in rommon . do a ? and see if you have any copy or tftp commands , if so maybe you can get an image on your pc and tftp or copy it onto bootflash? Really donn't know what rommon commands are available and there isn't a whole lot of info on rommon commands on CCO.

You can also copy the image you want onto the compact flash card from a 2800 router. The router will complain that it isn't in a system format but if you ignore it and request it to copy it will copy from your tftp server anyways. I popped it in back into the 6500 and booted from Rommon and I'm back in business.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: