Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS newbie question

rasmusan1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm new ro QOS, and is implementing a IP telephony solution for a customer. We have got a Catalyst 4510, where the phones are connected, and then the PC's are connected to the phones.

I have configured the "auto qos voip ciscophone" on the interfaces connected to the Cisco phones (7941's). However, we are experiencing a big performance descrease on the PC's (about 1/2 or 1/3 the performance or so), when the "auto qos voip ciscophone" is configured on the interfaces. When I remove the auto qos from the interfaces, everything works at normal speed.

Is it a bad idea to configure the "auto qos voip ciscophone" on the interfaces, when the PC's are connected to the phones?

6 Replies 6

aamercado
Level 4
Level 4

post the config on one of the interfaces

I believe duplex becomes hardcoded and if so you can auto qos on one of the interfaces and set the duplex back to auto.

hth

interface GigabitEthernet6/27

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 10

qos trust cos

qos trust device cisco-phone

auto qos voip cisco-phone

tx-queue 3

bandwidth percent 33

priority high

shape percent 33

spanning-tree portfast

service-policy output autoqos-voip-policy

On a "sh interface counters detail module" are you dropping frames on one of the qos queues?

When I do a "sh interface counters detail", I have a lot of tx drops in the "Tx-Drops-Queue-1".

Essentially there are four egress or TX queues per interface, and in this particular instance the transmit queue 1 is the queue for all other traffic which has not been marked or classified.

Therefore in order to guarantee the minimum bandwidth for tx-queue 3 (33 percent) which is the strict priority queue for RTP, then queues will be serviced accordingly. This means that packets in TX queue 1 will be the first to be dropped as you have seen.

The fact the minimum bandwidth for the tx-queue 3 is 1/3 of the interface would seem some what excessive, thus starving other queues of bandwidth. Similarly the shaping or maximum bandwidth for queue 3 is also set to 1/3 and I would not expect voice traffic to peak 300 mbps on a gigabit interface.

Typically queue 3 is for VoIP and queue 4 is used for signalling,routing, BPDU updates etc, this obviously depends on your dscp mappings.

Depending on your traffic profile, which seems that your traffic typically falls into queue 1, then I would divide the bandwidth accordingly.

I would recommend initially adjusting the tx-queues as follows, and monitor the situation. You can always adjust the minimum and shaped maximum levels if you feel that voice quality is being comprised:-

interface GigabitEthernet6/27

tx-queue 1

bandwidth 500 mbps

tx-queue 2

bandwidth 200 mbps

tx-queue 3

bandwidth 50 mbps

priority high

shape 50 mbps

Regards

Allan.

Please remember to rate posts if you find this information helpful.

You can try upgrading the 7941 firmware to rule out any bugs