cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0(3) to 4.0(5) upgrade

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

All, I have a question about an upgrade I just did. I have this upgrade done successfully, but not done without issues. I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue during an upgrade done: During the upgrade, in the third portion of the upgrade where you basically tell Unity where the email users are located, I had pointed it to the place where they were, but none of the users showed up. I ended up having to run the "bunny tool" (cant remmeber its exact name) to take off the unity attributes of the AD userID, then reimport them in. After reimporting them in, all of thier greetings and such were still in place, with no issue of having to re-record, etc. My thought was that I shouldnt have had to do this. Cisco TAC couldnt explain why this happened.

I have three questions on this:

1. Is this normal in an Unity upgrade?

2. Would I have to do this if I went directly to 5.x?

3. Has anyone else experienced this?

7 Replies 7

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Id also like to know if anyone has had any other issues not mentioned here, if you will. Thanks.

1. no.

2. Don't know. See below comment.

3. No.

None of the users showed up where exactly?

I think the "third portion of the upgrade" refers to the "Message Store Configuration Wizard"? Where you specify (which everything should have been filled in for you) what Exchange server to point to?

Second posting: Unity upgrades have been very painless for me. Some installs have been very painful. Depends on the state of the Active Directory, the rights, inheritances, gremlins, etc. Maybe someone changed an AD right after you initially installed Unity so your upgrade had some issues.

Hope the explanation helped.

Users mailboxes didnt show up in the upgraded Unity. I had to use the "bunny tool" (still cant remember the name of it) to take off the Unity attributes in AD, then reimport them in.

Yes, the third portion does refer to Message Store Config Wizard". I pointed to the original exchange server, just like it was setup originally. But the user mailboxes were on another mail server. Although, both servers did show up for where the user mailboxes where in the setup, but it did point to the mailserver with no mailboxes on it (there was a migration at one point, before I came along).

Still not sure why this was painful like this. Are you thinking that the upgrade should have gone without re-importing the users in?

ohhhh.

You generally have problems if subscribers are not homed on the same exchange server Unity has as it's "Partner mail server". (I think for exchange, don't hold me to that.) Review the "Unity Design Guide" to make sure I am right.

If Unity's partner mail server is "Exchange 1" and your users got migrated to "Exchange2" you could have issues. This is especially a problem for a Lotus Notes integration.

Curious when you reimported the users, if the "server" box at the bottom of a subscriber's "profile" page changed. I know you couldn't see them but maybe you could have seen example administrator or something.

The upgrade definately should have gone without re-importing the users. I think the problem was your migration to another Exchange server.

Yes, you are correct. Partner exchange server was where all the subscribers resided, but somewhere in time they moved them to another exchange server. They just never changed the partner exchange server in Unity. You are probably right in that this may have been an issue. Im just not sure because I have not seen it before.

Yes, your correct on that as well. The bottom of the page in a subscribers "server" does say the exchange server where they CURRENTLY reside, not the original one. I dont think this was the case in the past (although Im not 100% certain). I was questioned about it, thats why I think it was the original server in the past.

From experience you have to educate your Exchange and AD people as I had to do to my customers on how a Unity install integrates and what it means.

Exchange server upgrades/service packs, etc, (may require a Unity patch or upgrade.) Make sure they don't one night upgrade to Exchange 2007 without letting you know. You will be broken until Unity is upgrade to 5.0

AD changes, rights changes, inheritance changes,

GROUP POLICY CHANGES that may affect the Unity accounts (unity install, unity admin, etc.) Make sure when the Unity install account logs in that a Windows service pack upgrade starts, etc.

Exchange changes

Mailbox moves (as you saw.)

So the Unity and MS people have to cooperate and plan moves, adds and changes together.

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing and your insight. Im definatly going to migrate this over to a new server, then upgrade from 4.0(5) to 5.x. It will be soon, so Im hoping this will go alot smoother.

Funny you mention rights, etc. One thing I encountered was that one unity account had too many rights, while another unity account didnt have enough rights (during this upgrade). I know of no history on this network, so I guess anything could have happened. I also think I heard them say at one point they do plan on going to exchange 2007, but will have to verify.

Anyway, thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: