cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Timers

rmartinjr24
Level 1
Level 1

I have a lab setup simulating 2 routers connected to 2 different service providers. I am forcing all traffic to go through router1 using weight values.

I am simulating link failures by pulling the WAN connection on router1. The routing changes over quickly to router2. Doing a continuous ping from a windows box, the icmp echo only times out once.

When simulating a LAN link failure on router 1(pull the Ethernet cable), routing does not change over to router 2 until the BGP hold timers expire, which is 180 seconds.

Why does the LAN link failure take longer than the WAN? I can change the timers between the LAN peer group to speed this up, but I don't understand why I don't see the same results on the WAN failure.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

The reason why the LAN failure takes time is it needs to wait for the dead interval time 180secs to detect it. If LAN is connected to a switch if its directly connected to a router the time will be different.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

The reason why the LAN failure takes time is it needs to wait for the dead interval time 180secs to detect it. If LAN is connected to a switch if its directly connected to a router the time will be different.

Thanks for the reply.