cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco PPS standard

noman_qureshi
Level 1
Level 1

Can anybody tell me how Cisco calculates the maximum throughput of a router? In DataSheets the unit used is kpps. Can anybody tell me what is the size of the packet that cisco uses to calculate the maximum throughput of Router

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

See attached document. Note the throughput numbers are taken with largest packet size as mentioned above.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For maximum throughput in mbps, the largest possible packet size is used, For maximum switching performances, the smaller packet size is used. Sometime, test are also doen with a mix of size or an average size.

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

If not stated otherwise, these tests are always performed with minimum-size packets i.e. 64 bytes.

This must be considered to be the most cpu-intensive size because this contains the maximum number of ip headers and CRC's to check per kilobyte.

Another consideration is that more packets can be squeezed in the available interface-bandwidth when they are smaller.

regards,

Leo

Thanks for prompt replies, actually I need to know what is the maximum bandwidth throughput of my cisco 2611 Router. I have heard that 2611 supports maximum of 7.5 Mbps. Is this true? My router's response time increases on bandwidths above 3Mbps. However, the CPU load and memory load never exceeds 50% on even on 3.5Mbps Bandwidth.

See attached document. Note the throughput numbers are taken with largest packet size as mentioned above.

Thank You very much, this is all I needed