Helpful
Replies

15305 and 15454 Ethernet interworking

pbelletty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folk,

Wonder if anyone can help out there.

Would like to provide a LAN Extension service over an SDH network. Does anyone know whether the GigE and FE cards on the 15305 interwork with the 15454 CE or ML ethernet cards?

Have looked on the Cisco site and am somewhat confused. The 15305 uses GFP-F to map Ethernet into SDH. The 15454 cards appear to encapsulate the ethernet frame before it uses GFP-F.

Could someone enlighten me!!

Regards,

Phil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Phil

yes, of course they do. You have two possibilites. You can use the 15305 modules in L1 mode and connect them to the CE cards on 15454. Or you can use the 15454 ML cards, maybe with a L2 RPR ring. Then you can switch the 15305 modules to L2 mode with a integrated L2 switch.

CE cards anf the 15305 modules in L1 mode is always P2P and pure ethernet transport without any L2 or VLAN stuff.

ML card and 15305 modules in L2 mode use a L2 switch with a lot of L2 features, like VLAN, STP, QoS and so on.

By the way, both CE and 15305 modules in L1 use GFP-F and are fully compatible.

I hope this helps. Please rate all posts.

Cheers

Rene

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Phil

yes, of course they do. You have two possibilites. You can use the 15305 modules in L1 mode and connect them to the CE cards on 15454. Or you can use the 15454 ML cards, maybe with a L2 RPR ring. Then you can switch the 15305 modules to L2 mode with a integrated L2 switch.

CE cards anf the 15305 modules in L1 mode is always P2P and pure ethernet transport without any L2 or VLAN stuff.

ML card and 15305 modules in L2 mode use a L2 switch with a lot of L2 features, like VLAN, STP, QoS and so on.

By the way, both CE and 15305 modules in L1 use GFP-F and are fully compatible.

I hope this helps. Please rate all posts.

Cheers

Rene

Thanks Rene - that is a very helpful.

Cheers,

Phil

axxessit
Level 1
Level 1

I have not tested interoperability myself, but I believe it should work fine. The only issue to be aware of is that the multiframe indicator must be "enabled" even though only running single vc. If it is not possible to configure this in the 15454, configure a minimum of 2xVC in the VCG. E.g. VC-3-2v for the EoS circuit.

Thanks for the reply.

Phil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco