cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

image upgrade problem

MZydorczyk2
Level 1
Level 1

We just recently upgraded our switches to new images but now on on of them we are unable to login to the switch which were able to before. Any idea what could have changed to effect it? If the config doesnt change during the upgrade I dont see why it wouldnt work still.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Matthew

Is it possible that you are accessing the switch using SSH? And is it possible that in upgrading the switch you changed from an image with crypto support to an image that does not have crypto support? Crypto support is required to enable SSH.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I understand what you are saying, but I cant be sure about that. I was not told the exact image file name to be able to know. Assuming that it is a crypto edition, any other ideas? If there isnt really anything else I'll probably just have to console in directly to do a password reset. But if it really is a crypto I dont understand what i would change since everything is the same.

Matthew

ok lets see if we can get a step or two further in sorting this out?

- are you using SSH or telnet to access the switch?

- when you attempt remote access what kind of response do you get? do you get an error message (if so what is the exact syntax of the message) or do you get a prompt?

- can we verify connectivity by doing a ping and a traceroute to the switch?

- is anything documented about the upgrade? does anyone know the new image name used in the upgrade? I am assuming from your response that no one has any information about the image that was in place before the upgrade?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

OK...yes I am trying to use ssh to access it. However, now I see that it does not even ping. I have checked the connections and there are still links but it does not ping on our private nor public network.

I worked fine before the upgrade so what could have caused it to stop?

As for the documentation yes the old image was a crypto because we were able to ssh to it before.

I've done a little more testing with pings and have noticed that with continuous pinging the switch does respond but it is very flaky.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: