cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ICMP fragmentation

rdotson
Level 1
Level 1

While troubleshooting a problem with a device, I was pinging using a data size of 1600 (ping -l 1600), which just timed out. But pinging other devices on same subnet, ping -l 1600 works fine. This leads me to believe ICMP packets are not blocked anyhwere, but why do some devices fail to return a ping above the standard mtu settings. Device is question is a card reader, but I've also notices jet direct cards will also not return a ping at 1600.

Any insite would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The standard Ethernet frame-size is 1500. It's up to the source/destination device to support packets greater that 1500.

Based on your test, the source device supports it (not sure if this was a switch/router/workstation) but only selected destination devices did.

The card reader and old Jet Direct cards are good example of devices that due to their age, won't support packets larger than 1500.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: