Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Relevance of Mgmt i/f DHCP server on WLC

Hi,

If I have all my users going through Dynamic Interfaces (ie. not Mgmt i/f) and these users are the only IP devices using DHCP (APs have Static IP addresses configured) then is the Mgmt i/f DHCP server IP address which the WLC inital setup dialog asks for, irrelevant? ie. never used & since I must answer this question in the dialog, can I put in any old IP address?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

In theory the mgt dhcp interface is useless. However, in the event of a dhcp server failure on one of your dynamic interfaces, the controller will attempt to revert to the mgt interface for dhcp to assign addresses to any newly discovered APs. Make sense?

How will the newly discovered know the dhcp address from mgt interface if the AP is not discovered until it gets an IP address?

Ap boots > gets IP address (from a DHCP server) > discovers controller (by then, a DHCP server was already used).

Well hopefully you have designed your network to have primary and secondary dhcp. If you are advertising a secondary scope on the vlan that your AP resides, then enabling option 43 will allow the APs to associate to the controller. The management interface doesn't dictate what IP the AP gets. The AP will get that address from the scope it sees advertised. Look at the documents attached.

Precisely my point:

You said: "controller will attempt to revert to the mgt interface for dhcp to assign addresses to any newly discovered APs"

The Controller is NOT the one assigning IP addresses - a DHCP server is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card