cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

frame_relay

korbenda11as
Level 1
Level 1

i want to simulate routers with frame_relay using back-to-back connection. Can I use fastethernet port to connect these routers?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oliver

You can not run serial protocols like Frame Relay over FastEthernet interfaces. If you had 2 routers back to back with a serial connection you can get Frame Relay encapsulation to work, but it is not a very complete emulation - for example there is no LMI whent the 2 routers are simply back to back using Frame Relay encapsulation. If you had a third router that had serial connection to both of the other routers you could have the third router emulate a Frame Relay switch and get a more complete emulation of Frame Relay.

So while you could connect the routers via FastEthernet interfaces and establish connectivity you would not be able to use those interfaces to simulate Frame Relay.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick thanks for your reply, what can u suggest of the kind of connection i can do. Actually, I have a 2851 router which i want to use as terminal server also serve as my connection to other three(3) routers I have that serve as different networks. I only have fastethernet and gigabit interfaces. Any suggestions that you can give. THis is for the purpose of the lab.

Oliver

If the routers have only FastEthernet and GigabitEthernet interfaces then I do not see a good way for your lab to implement Frame Relay. If the Frame Relay is important then you will need to obtain some serial interfaces for the routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick