Router Simulator software problems

Unanswered Question
Oct 29th, 2007

I am using both Sybex simulator and Boson simulator (couldn't find physical routers, & didnt have money to purchase on ebay).

Anyway, I am seeing a lot of differences in syntaxes between the Sybex book (Todd Lammle), Sybex simulator and Boson Simultor.

Just wondering, anybody else have troubles with syntaxes?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3.7 (3 ratings)

Hi There

This is the downside of router simulator software, although my problems were not so much with command syntax.

When I was studying for my own CCNA I ended up four different simulator packages. This was due to the fact that none of them had all the commands I needed. This meant when doing labs, I would usually have to do it in each of the sims to be able to run all commands.

As you can imagine, this got tiring pretty quickly and with the money I spent of the software I could have easily bought enough old Cisco equipment from Ebay to build a home lab, which is what I did in the end and I have never looked back.

Not sure if you have heard of Dynamips, but if not you should check it out. It allows you to run actual IOS software, so is much better than other offerings. The only thing is that you need a pretty decent PC to build up a lab with a number of routers.

Best Regards,

Michael

keller.oliver Tue, 10/30/2007 - 03:14

Not real trouble, since syntax will differ on real boxes as well, like :

interface naming convention (serial 0, serial 0/0, serial 0/0/0)

shortcuts that work (sh ru, sh run)

way to create vlans

..etc...

This depends on hardware as well as IOS versions, I'm just setting up a lab with a mixture of 1720, 2522, 2612, 2621, 2950, 2900XL and 2950 XL and it's not always easy to get the right command the first time ^^.

Later,

Oliver

Actions

This Discussion