Views
Helpful
Replies

Eigrp Default Route - Hub and Spoke

vuralsanal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How Can I do "default route" under router eigrp command. I mean that how can stub router send unkown packet to hub router ?

because stub router connect internet via hub router.

Thank You

28 Replies 28

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can 'redistribute static' under EIGRP in your hub router. That will put the 0.0.0.0/0 route into EIGRP and pass to neighbors.

HTH and please rate.

But I dont want use any static parameter. Everthing must be dynamic. I cant find related to default route under router eigrp command.

not ip default-network and ip route

What do you mean by dynamic? In one of your devices you already have a static route pointing to the internet right? Just redistribute that into EIGRP. You remote routers will then have a default route learned via EIGRP.

I mean that just use eigrp, not static paremeter.

Hub and spoke can communicate each other. But how can spoke router know unknown packet (Internet). It must query to hub router. Because It just go to via hub router access internet.

thank you

The spoke looks at its local routing table. If the route for a certain prefix exists it goes that direction. If there is no SPECIFIC route in the routing table, it will use the default route. The spoke router does not query the hub router, however the spoke router will route traffic to the hub router (to get to the internet for example).

HTH and please rate.

How Can I do it? Which commands must be under router eigrp ?

ROUTER(config)# router eigrp 1

ROUTER(config-router)# redistribute static

This will redistribute all static routes you have on the this router. If you need to prevent some static routers from being redistributed into EIGRP, you can use a route-map.

HTH and please rate.

The spoke looks at its local routing table. If the route for a certain prefix exists it goes that direction. If there is no SPECIFIC route in the routing table, it will use the default route. The spoke router does not query the hub router, however the spoke router will route traffic to the hub router (to get to the internet for example).

HTH and please rate.

Do you have a default route in your hub router? Where does it come from? If it already in EIGRP, then you are home and dry. If it comes from another protocol, RIP for example, then redistribute it into EIGRP.

Otherwise you will have to create one as a static and re-distribute it into EIGRP. In any case, these default routes have to go somewhere once they get into the hub.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

all of previous configuration are static. yes, I have it. I wanna use eigrp. all of paremeter must be under eigrp. not redistribute, default-network, default-gateway.

I cant find about it on cisco site.

You are using EIGRP. You can't have all the internet routes in EIGRP so you use the default route. To get the default route into EIGRP, you redistribute your static route pointing to the internet into EIGRP.

yes, that's right

I attached it. how can i configure in hub router?

Thanks for the diagram. Does the DSL-R run EIGRP? Is that a router or something like a DSL modem?

No, Dsl doesnt run eigrp. Just Hub and spokes

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: