Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN on Subinterfaces on a 2621 Router

I have a 100Mb leased line with a 2621 router at each end. I want to span vlan's across this line and have created subinterfaces on the fa0/0 interface on each as follows:

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

speed 100

full-duplex

!

interface FastEthernet0/0.50

encapsulation dot1Q 50

ip address 10.1.50.28 255.255.255.224

!

interface FastEthernet0/0.254

encapsulation dot1Q 254 native

ip address 10.0.254.25 255.255.255.248

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

ip address 10.1.254.1 255.255.255.0

speed 100

full-duplex

!

The config is the same at both side, but with a different IP address in the same subnet range.

I can now ping between the ip addresses associated with the subinterfaces on the native vlan, but I cannot ping between those non-native vlans.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Campbell

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

you need to ask your metro SP to carry 802.1q. They need to support what is called "Q-in-Q".

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

I got excited about that, but alas no, I spoke to the SP and it's fibre with little in the way of hardware in between.

I'm at a loss...

Do they only have media converters to present you the circuit over copper? Positive not even a switch in between ?

Easy check to confirm switch presence is that if you unplug one side the other stays up.

Yes, just media converters.

Is there anyway I can debug at packet level to make sure the reference is the same at both sides?

Campbell,

this is supposed to work as configured. You can attached a to PC with analyzer to confirm the router is sending the correct encap. Note you need a NIC driver with support for 802.1q to see tagged frames on the PC (not all NICs are like that).

Okay, managed to get it working, but I needed to change the encapsulation on the outside port on each router from dot1q to isl... Very weird...

Any thoughts on why this would work?

Campbell

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: