cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC unreachable from WCS -

pcaltagirone22
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WLC2000 that was reporting in to WCS but as of 2 weeks ago WCS sees it as unreachable although it is up and connectivity exists between the two?? I was planning on deleting the WLC and attempting to add it back to WCS but am curious as to if anybody had issues with similar issues?

7 Replies 7

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

I need the version of code on both the controller and WCS but I suspect you have either an SNMP issues such as community strings (they are case sensitive) or a problem with ARP in the WLC code. Try removing the WLC and re-adding it. If that fails, make sure you can ping the management interface from the WCS server vlan. If you can ping it but it can't be seen by WCS, try rebooting the controller and re-establishing a connection.

WCS is running 4.1.91

WLC's (7 total) all are running 4.1.171.0

thanks

I deleted and tried to add but got "No response from device, check SNMP communities, version or network for issues". It's probably SNMP as this was the first WLC installed years ago.

I'll check it out and repost

thx

i wound up rebooting the WLC and was able to find it through WCS again...no SNMP changes needed.

Sounds like the old ARP issue as that was the most common fix. Another symptom of this is not being able to log in under the controller's gui login.

what exactly is the arp issue? does the wcs lose the wlc in it's arp table??

thx

p

Nah, It's just a problem that Airespace had and subsequently Cisco inherited. The WCS receives updates from the controller databases on a regularly scheduled basis. For whatever reason, everytime we get a new code version, it takes the WCS a while to learn where the controller is and what changes have been made to its database entries. You can usually manually force this by doing a manual refresh of config from the controller in the WCS commands section. If that doesn't work, you have to reboot the controller and it will come back and you can re-add it to the list of controllers IF it still shows as unreachable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card