cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RX No Buff Errors on 7206 w/NPE-G1

vaniello
Level 1
Level 1

On a 7206VXR with a NPE-G1 processor I am seeing input errors on a Gigabit Ethernet interface. The input errors are due to “ignored” packets:

303 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 303 ignored

The ignored packets coincide with “RX No Buff” errors that appear in the output from a 'show controller' command:

RX No Buff 303

There is a about 30Mb/s of incoming traffic, mostly multicast, on the interface and according to the “show processes cpu history” command the maximum CPU over the last 72 hours was 60% with an average CPU of 30% during peak times.

Can anyone provide suggestions on how to correct these errors or am I running up against the processing limits of this router? If so, are the “RX No Buff” errors an indication of a limitation of the Gigabit Ethernet interface or the NPE-G1 CPU in the router? Would upgrading to a NPE-G2 correct the problem?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Vincent

2 Replies 2

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

The symptoms that you are experiencing in particular are caused by the processor not being able to keep up with the amount of traffic that needs to be handled in software i.e. the broadcasts,multicast. This brings us back to the traffic on the network. You need to find what this traffic is and if it can be either regulated or stopped.

So upgrading to a NPE-G2 should help?

V/