Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLANs

abbas.wasim
Level 1
Level 1

Guyz,

Is there any way to assign one than one VLAN to a switch port and what commands we need.

I don't interface to be configured as trunk.

Regards

Wasim Abbas

6 Replies 6

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wasim,

I did not understood you question well but if you requirement is to assign vlans to interface and not trunk you can run these commands

switch(config)#interface

switch(config-if)#switchport mode access

switch(config-if)#switchport access vlan

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks Ankur for your reply.

Well very basic question. I go again here.

Lets say interface 12 is in VLAN2 and I need it to be in VLAN3 as well.

In other words 2 dirrent VLANs for same interface.

Can this be done?

Regards

Hi Abbas,

As Kevin alreday told it is not possible on any Cisco switches other than old 2900XL switches.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

There was once a tentative feature to allow an access port to be a member of more than one VLAN, but Cisco removed it because it caused too many problems and in fact it was not so useful.

What problem are you trying to solve by doing so?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I just thought of three exceptions, but they are all special purpose:

1. Most switches support remote monitoring via a special purpose VLAN, called RSPAN. I suppose in a certain sense you could say that a monitoring port can be on the RSPAN VLAN as well as its own.

2. Some switches support a special VLAN that can be used for distributing multicast streams, for example for television distribution. The feature is called MVR. In a certain sense, a port can be a "member" of the MVR VLAN as well as its own.

3. Some switches support a light-weight form of trunking called "voice VLAN", intended for workstations connected through Cisco telephones.

Are any of those cases applicable to your application?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

What I've is nearly 3000 3Com 4400 series switch located in all 550+ M&S stores and I do configure those switch ports in multiple VLANs. Just digging around how this can be done on 3Com and not on Cisco.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: