Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade to 4.2 WCS

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Has anyone taken the leap yet?

I was going to my WCS today and then do my controllers tomorrow afternoon.

I was going to take Cisco on its' word:

Upgrading to a New Software Release

The Cisco WCS release must be the same or more recent than the controller software release. Upgrade the Cisco WCS first to prevent any unexpected problems. Cisco WCS supports database upgrades only from the following official Cisco WCS releases:

from http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/release/notes/WCSRN4_2.html#wp44431

but figured I would ask first.

25 Replies 25

pvanvuuren
Level 3
Level 3

I'm running it - seems very stable. Creating reports still a bit tedious. But all and all its working very well. Discovered my WISMs and APs very well. We have 18 floors with 4 APs on each floor. Wish there was a copy and paste method in the creation of maps though.

Cool. What sw version are you running on the wisms?

We are running 4.1.185.0 on our 4402 units.

I was planning on upgrading the WCS this am, and then doing the controllers later today when the wireless will not be utilized.

Damn, that was too easy!

Everything carried over except the html formatting on my login message, but that is an easy fix

As we used to say in the Army, keep your head down man. You can be the first Christian thrown to the lions. In other words, thanks for taking the leap and let us know how it goes in a week.

Thanks,

Dennis

So far, so good. I run WCS (as well as most everything else) on Linux and it took only two command strings (with prompts) and about 5 minutes

The 1st command was /opt/WCS4.1/Backup

and the second was ./WCS-STANDARD....bin

Oh yeah, had to do a chmod u+x on the bin file first in order to run it.

The only issue I noticed was the html formatting, but once I went into that menu, I saw that html is no longer allowed, but at least the paragraph formatting is preserved now - which is the reason why I used html in the 1st place!

Now, if only I can figure out how to add external links into the tabs/menus, then I would be all set!

A further note: The login message only retains its formatting in IE but not in Firefox of course. Yeah, I know Cisco does not support Firefox, but it works fine when using FIrefox under Linux (except for the formatting). Firefox under windows will load up on memory and grind to a halt.

Hi , we have SVC-WiSMs with software version: 4.1.185.0 as well.

I pushed out 4.2.x to the controllers last night without any issues.

One item of note: When I ran the inventory report from WCS, it showed all radios having 4.1.185.0 rather than 4.2.x. Drilling down into the radio links within WCS as well as WLC (both web & cli) indicate that they have 4.2.x as their firmware. I will run the inv report again this am and see if it has changed

That's interesting. Let me know if they still show the old code version and I will get it over to the BU.

I had to "Refresh Config from Controllers" in WCS to make my AP list show up correctly after I pushed out the new code.

How long did you wait before you did this? The controllers should automatcally refresh the WCS about every 10 minutes. If this is failing then I suspect we are seeing that same old ARP issues that has haunted us for years.

You guy's better look at the caveats! Here are some if 4.2 is installed on the WiSM:

• CSCsk09466-After you reboot the Cisco WiSM through the GUI, the controller becomes unresponsive.

o Workaround: To recover, pull out the WiSM module or power cycle the Catalyst 6500 switch.

• CSCsf29783-The Cisco WiSM reboots after experiencing a failure with the reaperWatcher mmMfpTask.

o Workaround: None.

• CSCsi76581-The WiSM controller reboots after running a ping test from the WCS map.

• CSCsk01753-The Cisco WiSM might reboot due to a failure in the sshpmReceiveTask.

• CSCsk09466-After you reboot the Cisco WiSM through the GUI, the controller becomes unresponsive.

o Workaround: To recover, pull out the WiSM module or power cycle the Catalyst 6500 switch.

• CSCsk85757-The Cisco WiSM reboots after operating for 32 days because the sshpmReceiveTask missed the software watchdog.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We had it up for a couple of weeks and it never refreshed the AP list data until I did a "Refresh Config from Controllers" command in WCS.

Ran the report this am. All APs are up to proper rev in the report

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: