cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static route redistribution

bsudol79p
Level 1
Level 1

I am working in a very sensative environment so I want to ask questions before I do anything. If I redistribute static routes into eigrp will the gateway of last resort also be redistributed? each site has its own connection to an ISP so I do not want to redistribute static default route. Is it better to redistribute static routes via distribute-list command or route map?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deny is implicit, no need to add it into the ACL.

Your ACL should look like this

access-list 10 permit 172.23.0.0 0.0.255.255

access-list 10 permit 172.19.0.0 0.0.255.255

Also, make sure to define the metric in the redistribute command

router eigrp x

redistribute static route-map STATICREDIST metric 10000 10 255 1 1500

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you redistribute static and you have a default route in the form of static route, that route will also be redistributed into EIGRP.

I recommend going with route-maps if you don't want some static routes being redistributed into EIGRP.

OK but how about redistribute-list command? it would work as well wouldn't it?

Can you check for me if this route map would work? I want to only redistribute the 172.23 and 172.19 static routes. I am not sure if this is going to stop the traffic from 172.23 and 172.19 network or just stop the static redistribution of default gateway. Thank for the help!!

route-map STATICREDIST permit

match ip address 10

acess-list 10 permit 172.23.0.0

access-list 10 permit 172.19.0.0

access-list 10 deny 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Deny is implicit, no need to add it into the ACL.

Your ACL should look like this

access-list 10 permit 172.23.0.0 0.0.255.255

access-list 10 permit 172.19.0.0 0.0.255.255

Also, make sure to define the metric in the redistribute command

router eigrp x

redistribute static route-map STATICREDIST metric 10000 10 255 1 1500

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

There is to say also that if you were to redistribute the static default route through EIGRP it will appear at the remote router with an AD of 170.

If the remote sites have a static default route to their local Internet gateway, then this redistributed default route would not get into their routing table, as the static route takes priority. But if their local gateway goes down, the static route would be removed from the routing table and the EIGRP learned one would take its place. In that way you could provide a fallback through central site ... if you want to.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Yes, very good point Kevin !

However, it's always a good practice to control redistribute routes with a route-map. Another Engineer may add a static route (for testing or by mistake) and cause weird routing issues.

A route-map helps preventing that.