Does LMS 2.6 server needs have java installed?

Answered Question
Nov 1st, 2007
User Badges:

My LMS 2.6 customer is raising security concerns on having java plug-in 1.4 installed on the LMS 2.6 server and wishes to upgrade it. He has upgraded on the clients and campus manager stoped working as expected. I advised him to remove all java from the clients and install the 1.4.10 supported java plug-in from the LMS server and the clients are now OK. As he accessed the LMS from the server one time, the 1.4.10 plug-in was installed and campus worked normally from the server also. I am inclined to tell him to remove all java from the server and use LMS only from the clients to keep the server clean. The CS305 install guide says that Common Server does not require JVM and Java Plug-in, but some Cisco Works applications may require it. So the question: can we remove all java from the LMS server?

Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 9 years 8 months ago

Yes, you can if you do not want to use the server as a Campus Manager or IPM client in the future.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
yjdabear Thu, 11/01/2007 - 07:30
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

It's unnecessary on the server side, since the LMS components using Java are given specific libpaths to look to. In fact, I find LMS 2.6 itself seems to reference a wide mix of JRE 1.4.x and 1.3.x, which may not even be actively used.

rgomes Thu, 11/01/2007 - 07:35
User Badges:

Being said, may I safely remove all java components that show up on the Windows 2003 control panel remove programs?

Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Thu, 11/01/2007 - 07:45
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Yes, you can if you do not want to use the server as a Campus Manager or IPM client in the future.

rgomes Thu, 11/01/2007 - 07:50
User Badges:

OK clarke.

This may stop the clients complains about not being possible load a newer and perhaps safer java plug-in on the server. If in the future on a emergency he needs to access the app using the server, the java plug-in can be loaded anyway.

Thanks

Robson

Actions

This Discussion