cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Telephony Solution!!!

vgupta
Level 1
Level 1

I am a newbee with IP Telephony. Can anyone please let me know what I need (Hardware/Software) for 50user (Ip phones)solution. I am trying to use it as an experiment purpose than will put in production that can go upto 500 users later on. I will be needing the Unified messaging system also. I am interested in the new Linux version of call manager. Thanks,

VKG

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vinay,

The version that sounds most suitable and that will scale to 500 users is;

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition is an easy-to-manage solution that combines voice, video, mobility, and messaging on a single server to simplify system administration and reduce hardware and operating expenses. This solution provides cost-effective deployment options for medium-sized organizations with smaller IT staffs that require all the advanced capabilities of Cisco Unified Communications Manager (formerly Cisco Unified CallManager), Cisco Unity Connection, Cisco Unified Mobility (formerly Cisco Unified MobilityManager), and integrated management on a single server to expedite migration to unified communications.

The solution includes many new capabilities designed specifically for medium-sized organizations.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition is a designed for medium-sized businesses with up to 500 employees and up to five remote sites. The Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition integrates the benefits of voice, video, mobility, and messaging on a single platform. Previously, organizations needed one hardware server for each application. Consolidating applications on a single server makes the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition a cost-effective solution by eliminating the need to have multiple hardware servers to run each application. It also dramatically simplifies the installation, support, and ongoing management of the system, thereby reducing the total cost of ownership (TCO). With the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition, medium-sized businesses can now more easily afford to bring enterprise-class Cisco Unified Communications features and applications to their headquarters and branch locations.

The Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition consists of the following core components:

Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0 with integrated mobility features

Cisco Unity Connection 2.0

Cisco MCS 7828 Media Convergence Server

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition is based on the Cisco Unified Communications Linux-based appliance platform introduced with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 5.0. The Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition supports the world-class Cisco Unified Communications Manager call processing function and Cisco Unity Connection messaging. The applications are preloaded on the highly reliable 1 rack-unit-high Cisco Media Convergence Server platform. The software preloaded on the server consists of a single firmware image that includes the underlying OS as well as the call processing and messaging applications. By using a common set of system management and serviceability tools across the OS and multiple applications, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition is designed to provide a consistent experience and to streamline the ongoing management and operation of a Cisco Unified Communication solution.

From this doc;

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7273/products_data_sheet0900aecd805e6985.html

Link with video;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7273/index.html

Introduction

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7273/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

Its a great information you provided to me. I was wondering even though all three core components can be on one MCS server but for redundant purpose,will it be ok if I go for two MCS Servers. Also If i do that, do I have to have 2 separate Licenses for each of the services on the MCS server? Does the Unified Messaging service should be on a separate server?

Thanks,

Vkg

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vinay,

Good idea!

If you are looking for more redundancy than the Business Edition you can opt for the "stand-alone" versions instead of the all in one. This will cost more but of course offers more resiliency. The licensing for these products will be seperate;

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 6.0

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (formerly Cisco Unified CallManager) software is the call-processing component of the Cisco Unified Communications system. Cisco Unified Communications Manager extends enterprise telephony features and capabilities to packet telephony network devices such as IP phones, media processing devices, voice-over-IP (VoIP) gateways, and multimedia applications. Additional services such as unified messaging, multimedia conferencing, collaborative contact centers, and interactive multimedia response systems are made possible through Cisco Unified Communications Manager open telephony APIs. Cisco Unified Communications Manager is installed on the Cisco 7800 Series Media Convergence Servers (MCSs) platforms and selected third-party servers. It has a suite of integrated voice applications and utilities, including the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console, an impromptu conferencing application, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Bulk Administration Tool, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Call Detail Record (CDR) Analysis and Reporting Tool, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Real-Time Monitoring Tool, and the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Assistant application.

Features and Benefits

Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0 is an enterprise IP telephony call-processing solution that is scalable, distributable, and highly available. Multiple Cisco Unified Communications Manager servers are clustered and managed as a single entity on an IP network, a distinctive capability in the industry that yields scalability of 1 to 30,000 IP phones per cluster, load balancing, and call-processing service redundancy. Interlinking multiple clusters allows system capacity to reach 1 million users in a system of more than 100 sites. Clustering aggregates the power of multiple distributed Cisco Unified Communications Manager installations, enhancing the accessibility of the servers to phones, gateways, and applications, and triple call-processing server redundancy improves overall system availability.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_data_sheet0900aecd805e323f.html

Cisco Unity Connection

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/index.html

Documentation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: