cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7914 Side Car - Can Buttons Light up if phone is on a call

rwamstutz
Level 1
Level 1

All, Is it possible to make the lighted buttons on a 7914 side car (attached to a 7960) light up if that phone is in use? So that the receptionist knows that person is on a call and to not forward a call through? If so how, if not, how can the receptionist know if they are on the phone?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rob,

The BLF configuration may be unnecessary for what you want to do here. The need for Presence etc is fairly complicated :( Why don't you just start out with "Shared Lines"

If you have an extension like 5566 at one of the user phones just configure 5566 (try using a "flash only" appearance) on one of the Line Buttons on the 7914. You can also configure a Label for this 5566 Shared Line on the 7914 that shows the 5566 Users name.

When the user at 5566 is on the phone the applicable 5566 Line Button will light up on the 7914 to indicate the line is in use. This may be all you require!

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

pklos
Level 4
Level 4

It is possible with CCM 5 and higher using speed dial BLF. When you have CCM 3.x and 4.x best way is using attendant console on receptionist PC computer.

--

regards,

pk

speed dial BLF? Please Explain?

Hi Rob,

The feature you need DSS/BLF is available in CCM 5.x (and later).

So you have two choices here, either configure the Button as a Shared Line (to see the status) or as a DSS/BLF to monitor the line status and have a Speed Dial to the user as well :)

In CCM 5.x this is a traditional BLF (Busy Lamp Field) which is used to monitor On/Off Hook, Busy/Idle conditions on users phones, as well as having a Speeddial functionality for fast dialing and Transfers.These keys can't be used to answer actual calls.

Cisco Unified CallManager Speed Dial Presence

Cisco Unified CallManager supports the ability for a speed dial to have presence capabilities via a busy lamp field (BLF) speed dial. BLF speed dials work as both a speed dial and a presence indicator.Only the system administrator can configure a BLF speed dial; a system user is not allowed to configure a BLF speed dial.

States are:

Idle

Busy

Unknown

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a008070bc02.html#wp1070507

So you have basically a speed-dial button that also lights up when the person is on the phone.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Users point out if the person is on the phone the line shows Shared Line in Use with the Two phones icon, and lights red. If they get a second call it flashes yellow, however you can't tell if they have hung up on the first call as the ringing icon overrides the shared line in use (two phones) icon.

Workaround is to create a Line1 roll to Line 2 and have both Line1/Line2 appear on the side car.

All, I am not finding the BLF setting.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rob,

The BLF configuration may be unnecessary for what you want to do here. The need for Presence etc is fairly complicated :( Why don't you just start out with "Shared Lines"

If you have an extension like 5566 at one of the user phones just configure 5566 (try using a "flash only" appearance) on one of the Line Buttons on the 7914. You can also configure a Label for this 5566 Shared Line on the 7914 that shows the 5566 Users name.

When the user at 5566 is on the phone the applicable 5566 Line Button will light up on the 7914 to indicate the line is in use. This may be all you require!

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hey Rob..

We are running 4.1(3)sr4d..

Shared line approach works well for normal calls.. except in the following scenario..

I have an assistant (not using IPMA) who has a shared line appearance of her manager's line on her handset. If she receives a call and transfers it to the manager, the shared line appearance does not light up and indicate it is in use. Does the same for either consult or non-consult transfers.

Tried it on a couple of different phone loads with same results..

Anyone seen this before??

Cheers,

Tim.

Hey Tim,

Is the Line she answers on, her own Line, or the Shared Line? If it is the Shared Line then she must have a secondary number on the Managers phone to Transfer to in which case there would be no Lamp associated with the Shared Line after the Transfer was completed.

Let me know,

Thanks, Rob

Hi Rob,

Nope the call comes into her own line which is the primary line on the phone. Then she performs a transfer from that primary line to the managers line.

Even the first leg of the transfer doesnt show it ringing... hmmm which just occured to me.. i wonder if it is the ringing behaviour set to disable.. will check tomorrow! :)

Cheers,

Tim.

Hi Rob...

Just an update..

Check out bug id CSCsa89509

This references the problem however there is no solution.

But the general problem is actually ringing the shared line from a phone that has the shared line on it. None of these calls display the status on the monitor button.

Cisco engineer pointed me in the right direction though.. work around is to disable MLPP Indication and Preemption (if its on) on the phones in question. Then the monitor line works correctly!

So as long as your not using MLPP it is all ok! ;)

Cheers..

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for posting back with the results of your troubleshooting! 5 points for your great work here :)

Take care,

Rob

I am not sure I am following this correctly. I have the manager's ext as a shared line on the assistant. Call comes in she answer it and transfer it to a 2nd line on manger's phone. Now when a 2nd call comes in on Manager's lines and the assistant picks it up, how can she tell if he is still on the phone or not? How did you configure this speed dial/ blf ??

Thnx

Charl

Hi Charl,

In you scenario you don't need DSS/BLF :)

Here's what to do;

Lets say the Manager has two Lines-

Line 1 = Main Listed Number 5555

Line 2 = Secondary Transfer number 1234

On Admin's Phone three Lines -

Line 1 = Main Listed Number 4321

Line 2 = Manager's Listed number 5555

Line 3 = Secondary Transfer number 1234

This way the Admin can see all Manager Lines to determine call status etc.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: