Unanswered Question
Nov 1st, 2007

i do need some advise regarding a career in IT. i am currently taking an online course towards mcsa with skillstrain.i have almost completed the last material and should be taking the comptia A+ in the next few weeks. i am so eager to take the ccent exam that i have bought the ciscopress text by wendell odom and have started studying it alongside the materials from skillstrain for the A+. should i just study for the Comptia N+ after taking the A+ exam or can i try my hands on the ICND1 640-822 exam after the A+ exam? Or is it possible to study for the N+ and the ICND1 640-822 at the same time. maybe am getting over-ambitious about the ccna because a friend got a well-paid job within weeks of getting certified. though i do not have a strong IT background, i have always had interest and quite comfortable with computing stuff. i currently work as a sales advisor with a telecommunications company and looking to apply for broadband technical helpdesk role with the company once i complete the A+ exam. i think this might offer some relevant experience while studying for the other certification exams. Please, any advice would be highly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
panterablanco Thu, 11/01/2007 - 19:14

I took the ccna 640-801 on Halloween, the last day for that exam. Now, a new revised exam exists the into level, the CCENT. I'm writing to say that I have been in training for Cisco about 3 years. Took the online and instructor let Network Academy. I knew the material, but the exam ended while I still had 13 questions left! Now, I am not slow, but 110 minutes for 53 questions. Many questions had a short paragraph to read. I type 50+ wpm also. Out of a minimum 880 passing grade...I had 660 before my exam timed out. I was on my way to passing!

So, my perspective is that knowing the material wasn't enough. I had to be so familiar with using and troubleshooting a router/switch... that I wouldn't have to think. Simply put, there was not enough time to think. From Panterblanco

pipemajor Fri, 11/02/2007 - 08:37

>I took the ccna 640-801 on Halloween, the last day for that exam

I thought the last day to write the 640-801 exam was Nov 6? Hope so, I write my 640-811 ICND on Nov 5.

panterablanco Sat, 11/03/2007 - 18:09

The 6th of November is the last day for the older exam. Thanks. Unfortunately, as much as I would like...I cannot afford another shot at the exam at this time. To many expenses coming up. In retrospect, had I practiced writing access-lists...I might have save some more time. Also, the testing center gave me a fat felt marker. It is difficult to read anything written with one of those. Nor did they offer me a rag to wipe the slate and start again. Little things but...valuable when every second counts. Best wishes to you.

rayroyaleverest Fri, 11/02/2007 - 08:42

I would suggest doing the CompTIA Network+ certification followed by the Cisco CCENT certification.

shoggylee Sun, 11/04/2007 - 11:57

Thanks for your advice. I thought as well that might be the best thing to do. I guess am kind of being hasty. I'll do the comptia A+ soon as then see how it goes. Thanks anyway.

This Discussion