Helpful
Replies

WAN port bandwidth discrepancy

dean_toth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all;

I have seen this a few time and need help explaining it:

I have two 2500 routers, separated by 2 T1-lines. Each router is attached by a single serial line to a multiplexer that connects to the 2 T1 lines.

Now, everything works fine, the throughput is exactly as it should be, but one of the interfaces sometimes shows double the outgoing bandwidth and does not match the incoming rate at far end.

Here are some examples:

First, what I would call Normal:

Near router:

5 minute input rate 1736000 bits/sec, 210 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 2650000 bits/sec, 267 packets/sec

Far Router:

5 minute input rate 1394000 bits/sec, 133 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 2891000 bits/sec, 340 packets/sec

Then I have the rates I do not understand:

Near router:

5 minute input rate 24000 bits/sec, 46 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 4741000 bits/sec, 395 packets/sec

Far Router:

5 minute input rate 2041000 bits/sec, 159 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 17000 bits/sec, 35 packets/sec

The rate discrepancy between the outgoing data and the received data is 2070000 bit/sec! And there are only 2 T1s, does that not make the absolute max throughput 3088000 bits/sec?

And I have looked at the logs on the MUXs and there are not 1000s of drops, or any errors.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have it set to a 5 minute poll interval. It seems both routers have a different 5 minute span. If you want more accurate representation, change the poll interval to 30 seconds with the interface command load-interval 30

HTH,

OK, Thank you HTH I will try closing the poll interval to see if the rates match better,

but the main question was how can I be getting 4.5Mb/s of throughput from 2-T1 lines (=3.088Mb/s)? Is the routers math bad?

Yes, that's odd. The only thing I can tell you that perhaps the mux is clocking higher than 1544Mbps -or- this isn't a T1 but an E1.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card