OER versus traditional BGP load sharing

Unanswered Question
Nov 2nd, 2007

A customer of mine is currently dual homed to one single provider with multiple local routers. We are load sharing using local preference in BGP.

I was reading about Optimized Edge Routing (PfR) and would like to solicit some input regarding this technology. From what I have gathered with OER, you must define a master controller and define policies for your application traffic. If your traffic remains within the policies, you will utilize the best path detrmined by the routing protocol. If your traffic falls out of policy, the master controller will inject routes or PBR entries to utilize the secondary link until all traffic falls back within the defined policy. Depending on your traffic patterns and your defined policies, the primary link could be used 100% of the time with the secondary link being idle if all traffic falls within the policies.

I understand that this may work well for real time applications like voice and video but I do not see the benefit for my customer. With the current setup, we are utilizing both links all the time.

Has anyone deployed this technology and can you provide some benefits it has over other traditional load sharing techniques?

Regards

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion