cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different Device Counts between Data Collection and Discovery

chharris41
Level 1
Level 1

My Device Discovery shows about 30 more devices than data collection does. When I look at the discovery report it shows many of these as unreachable. How do I delete the "unreacheable" devices from Campus Mgr (they dont show up in DCR either)?? I checked the seed devices and snmp strings, etc.. The IP ranges for data collection are correct, just need to manually delete these old devices somehow.

Thanks for your assistance.

4 Replies 4

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

These 'unreachable' devices in the Discovery Report should be devices that are seen as CDP neighbours from some other devices but cannot be accessed with SNMP from the LMS server. There can be multiple reasons for this:

a) there is no (or the wrong) RO SNMP community defined in LMS for these devices

b) the SNMP agent on these devices is not configured

c) there is an access list on the way from the LMS server to the devices that prevents the SNMP communication between the server and the device

You do not need to delete these devices, either change the reason why LMS cannot reach them via SNMP so they are managed correctly or (e.g if you are not responsible for these devices) exclude them in Campus Manager - Administraion -Discovery Settings.

They are not added to DCR as LMS could not manage them (no SNMP access) - this is done automatically and prevents follow-up failures in the apps.

If you have (old) unreachable device on the Campus Manager Topology Map you want to delete, go to DCR and delete them:

Common Services - Device and Credentials -Device Management > here you can select devices and delete them

Thanks for that response, I've done most of that already though. I believe many of these devices no longer exist on the network, but somehow Campus still holds onto them (they are not in DCR so I cannot delete them from there). There must be some way to force CM to delete these devices.

If Discovery is still reporting devices that are no longer in the network, then those devices are either in DCR, or defined as static seed devices under Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery > Discovery Settings.

If you do not see the devices as seeds, and they are not showing up in DCR, then you are either integrated with ACS, and those devices are in DCR, but are not clients of the LMS ACS server (in that case, they would should up under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Reports > Devices not in ACS); or the devices really are still in the network, and are showing up as CDP neighbors of other, reachable devices.

In all cases, once the devices are removed from the network, from DCR, and from the static seed device list, Discovery will no longer find them.

you said '... When I look at the discovery report it shows many of these as unreachable...'

and now I stumble across the _many_ you mention - does this mean some of these are shown as reachable ?

If that is the case these devices do exist and are excluded from data collection with a filter.

Does any of the unreachable devices has neighbors listed? If yes, is any of these neighbor devices a managed one in LMS ?

Can you telnet to one of the neighbors and do a 'show cdp neigh detail' to see if it is listed then.

Where exactly do you see these devices in question?