Unanswered Question
Nov 3rd, 2007

Pals in wireless tech, Kindly let me know when and where in a WLAN (Best practises) to use each of the WLSE / WLC / WCS / WLSE Express

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rob.huffman Sat, 11/03/2007 - 08:32

Hi Michael,

My take on this is that the WLSE and WLSE Express are really not really a viable choice for new purchases.The WLSE has not been completly "End of Life" although I think its safe to say that Cisco is really promoting the change to LWAPP. They even have a migration path from the WLSE to WCS in place. There are many Autonomous AP's that can be converted to LWAPP as well. You probably want to look into one of the various versions of the WLC (Wireless Lan Contoller) Have a look;

CiscoWorks Wireless LAN Solution Engine (WLSE)

End-of-Life and End-of-Sale Notices

From this doc;

Customers that have deployed a legacy wireless LAN or a Cisco wireless solution using Cisco Aironet® standalone (autonomous) access points, the CiscoWorks® Wireless LAN Solution Engine (WLSE), and the Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series Wireless LAN Services Module (WLSM) are encouraged to migrate to the Cisco Unified Wireless Network to reap numerous benefits including ease of management, scalability, advanced feature velocity, high performance, lowered total cost of ownership, and mobility services such as VoWLAN, guest access, location services, and enhanced security.

Cisco is encouraging our customers to migrate to the Cisco Unified Wireless Network. This paper reviews the advantages of and reasons for migrating to the Cisco Unified Wireless Network. Discover why now is the right time to migrate to the Cisco Unified Wireless Network.

Have a look at this good Q & A from a recent "Ask the Expert" event;

Question from Andrew;

"Not strictly a deployment question but...! What's the status of the autonomous APs and the WLSE? Are they still being developed or are they pretty much due for retirement? In other words should we be moving to using LWAPs and WLCs?

Answer from Sergey @ Cisco;

"Although this question does not exactly fit into the discussion subject I know that WLAN products based on the Distributed Architecture are still being developed, although you are likely to see more new features coming in the controller based solution. Using our internally deployed WLAN as an example - we are migrating from the fully featured IOS based APs deployed about 6 years ago to the network with about twice as many LWAPP APs and wireless controllers."

This thread shows the varying opinions about the WLSE vs WLC/WCS debate;

CiscoWorks WLSE Migration to Cisco WCS

Conversion of a WLSE Autonomous Deployment to a WCS Controller Deployment

Hope this helps! Just my 2 cents,

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network