First exam - where do I start?

Unanswered Question
Nov 3rd, 2007

Hi, I am use to the Microsoft exams etc, but have been heavily involved in configuring Cisco routers, firewalls and VPN's over the last year. I have been asked to get my first basic Cisco exam and have no idea where to start then work my way up.

Can someone point me in the next direction?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Hi There

My 2 cents worth.

IMHO if you have been working in IT for a while and have spent a year working with Cisco equipment and are fairly comfortable with configuring it, then I would say start with the CCNA certification.

The Cisco CCENT is now the entry level exam, but again IMHO this is really aimed at people who are just starting off in IT and may not have good understanding of Routing and Switching technology.

Best Regards,

Michael

whiteford Sat, 11/03/2007 - 04:10

Thanks, do you have the exam numbers for those, might buy a couple of books of amazon.

Hi There

I am not sure if the books for the new CCNA exam are out yet. The new exam was only released in July and I know when the CCNP was upgraded it took a while before the books became available.

The New CCNA exam is comprised of two parts, ICND1 & ICND2. If you are looking for books look for these titles as earlier CCNA books will not have the new content included.

If you are only starting off in your CCNA studies I can recommend Chris Bryants Ultimate Study Guide and/or the TrainSignal CCNA CBT's.

Again I think it will be a few weeks yet before the updated course material will be available, but I have used these for my own CCNA certification and continue to use them now for my CCNP studies.

Check out

http://www.thebryantadvantage.com

http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=35

for more information.

Best Regards,

Michael.

whiteford Sat, 11/03/2007 - 08:25

Thanks, can you recommend a good book version for the new ICND1, I have a long train journey to work everyday :)

Also how many questions is the exam?

Actions

This Discussion