cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP accounting

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I was wondering what IP accounting does? I have 2 Cisco Catalyst switchs 2950 and 3550. I want to see what traffic is going through a port on the switch like the source and destination. Does anyone have an example of how to configure a port and how to show the traffic or what an example might look like?

Many thanks

3 Replies 3

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

IP Accounting provides a generic port/interface statistic showing yuo traffic xmit and rcv. What I think you are looking for is a poor mans sniffer. If your switches are IOS based then you can verify that CEF is enabled on your switch. Then you can use the interface command IP ROUTE-CACHE FLOW under the interface that you want to study. Then use the exec command SHOW IP CACHE FLOW. This will show you the traffic flows through the interface at the time you entered the command. It also shows you the packet sizes of the traffic flowing. If CEF is enabled then you can use this on any layer 3 interface. It is a useful tool to quickly see traffic flows. This feature is used for NETFLOW analyzers. This is another option that you might want to look at. NETFLOW analyzers provide a nice GUI interface for you and can provide reports and other details... Good Luck.. Pls rate...

I use NetFlow on all my routers, but ip route-cache flow isn't an option on my Cisco catalyst 2950 and 3550, unless you know otherwise?

The command to view the flows is SHOW IP CACHE FLOW.. If youy have Netflow running then you have CEF enabled and probably have IP ROUTE-CACHE FLOW enabled under the interfaces. Just do the SHOW command to view the flows...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card