cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan trunking question

jshanley7
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 switches set up as a VTP server and client. When I assign a vlan to a port on the server, is the same vlan always going to be assigned to the same port number on the client switch ? I have vlan 2-6 on ports 2-6 of the VTP server switch and see the same port assignment on the client switch when using show vlan. Is this how it is supposed to work ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I respectfully disagree the server does not change port assignments on a client switch it only propagates the vlans themselves , you have to manually assign the vlans to the ports themselves....BPDU's really have nothing to do with VTP , it is a spanning tree protocol function ....

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's very strange and that's not a default behavior. VTP is only used for Vlan management between switches and does not perform port membership like the one you described.

Is the Vlan in question, a Vlan other than Vlan 1 ?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Think it is coincidence , the server just propagates the vlans to the client so you do not have to create the vlans on the client , You do have to manually assign vlans to the individual ports on the client or even the server for that matter that is the only way they get assigned to the ports . If you had origianlly made the client the server or whatever you may have made those ports the same by accident , no other way for that to happen.

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Your VTP server switch sends BPDU to your VTP client switch. The vlan's you create and port assignment you create on your server switch are propagated to your client switch. This is the correct action of the server client relationship, VTP is use mostly in large network to make vlan assignment easier and less chances for config errors. Each time you make a config change the revision number will increment by one, if a client switch receives a BPDU with a higer revision number than it's own, it will change it's config according to the info in the BPDU. You can place the client switch in transparent mode and it will forward BPDU but will not change config. You should look into vlan pruning or usingthe "vlan allowed" command.

I respectfully disagree the server does not change port assignments on a client switch it only propagates the vlans themselves , you have to manually assign the vlans to the ports themselves....BPDU's really have nothing to do with VTP , it is a spanning tree protocol function ....

The server propagates vlans to the client but propagates the server identical port assignments as well. How does one assign ports to the client. From the server or the client ?

You describe everything I am observing. BTW, I should mention that this is a Boson simulator not actual equipment. Just trying to verify what I am observing as the truth or not. Thanks for your post. Now about that ICND test tomorrow..........

The simulator is not correct if it is doing port assignments on the client switch too. These are manual , if a IOS switch then on each port it would be "switchport access vlan XX" to assign the vlans to the ports. If catos then it is "set vlan X slot/port" . This has to be done regardless if its a server or a client.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: