cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

g.703 and T1

sumesh_un
Level 1
Level 1

Can I run a long distance leased line between two routers with VWIC-2MFT-G703 and VWIC-2MFT-T1 interfaces?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, VWIC-2MFT-G703 can be used for E1 only:

Please refer to:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800b6e0f.shtml

However, for intercontinental leased lines, you can have situations in which the circuit is T1 on one side, and E1 w/ 24 timeslots on the other, so the answer to the original question would be yes for that particulal case. Note again that to terminate such frame circuit the more expensive VWIC-2MFT-G703 would not be necessary, as a simple VWIC-xMFT-E1 would be enough.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

yes you can

The G703 card can be configured for both T1 as well as E1.

HTH

Narayan

No, VWIC-2MFT-G703 can be used for E1 only:

Please refer to:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800b6e0f.shtml

However, for intercontinental leased lines, you can have situations in which the circuit is T1 on one side, and E1 w/ 24 timeslots on the other, so the answer to the original question would be yes for that particulal case. Note again that to terminate such frame circuit the more expensive VWIC-2MFT-G703 would not be necessary, as a simple VWIC-xMFT-E1 would be enough.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

yes Paolo is right

I just checkked and found that i havew configured the timeslots to 24 to match the T1

Narayan

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Just on higher view of the tech may be the following points could be helpful:

1. G.703 / G.704 are always E-1 Standards

2. G.703 (sometimes referred as Unframed E-1) is available as Balanced (Co-ax 120 Ohms) or Unbalanced (Twisted Pair - 75 Ohms) cabling

3. G.703 can give you upto 2.048 Mbps per link

4. G.704 can give upto max 1.984 Mbps as one channel is taken for framing as the term Framed E-1

For a bit more of information please visit:

http://www.patton.com/technotes/G.703_faq.pdf

Hope that helps,

Please rate it helps.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hello,

to be more exact, about point 1 above, the G.703 standard actually defines all plesiochronous electrical transmission from 9.6 kbps (If I recall correctly, up to 52 mbps, including T1 and E1.

This is why tehcnically speaking, T1 *is* G.703, although in cisco parlance, G.703 means E1 unframed.

So in reality, a framed E1 circuit means G.704 over G.703.

thank you guys !!!

But how is VWIC-xMFT-G703 different from VWIC-xMFT-E1?

If i am right the G703 can also support unframed E1 whereas the E1 VWIC cannot.is it right?

Correct

T1/E1 module cannot be configured for unframed E1

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco