cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from CCM 3.5 to CCM 4.2(3) through 4.1(3)

bilalghayad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All;

I need to have CCM 4.2(3) and currently I have CCM 3.5, someone told me that you can go for 4.1(3) and then you can move to 4.2(3), actually I checked the compatibility matrix and was not able to know under which title I can see this?

Is it under the title

"Backup and Restore - Using the Latest Compatible Version is Recommended"? If yes, then I do not see that 3.5 can move to 4.1 at all.

Any help might correct my path?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bilal,

You can actually go straight from CCM 3.3.5 to CCM 4.2.x. The 3.3.5 to 4.2.x Upgrade Media Kit can be ordered via the Product Upgrade Tool (PUT) if you have a Smartnet contract. Have a look at the upgrade paths in this good doc;

Cisco CallManager Upgrade Paths

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008086cc7c.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

Hi Bilal,

You are always welcome :) This method can be done as well. The best way to do this to migrate the data from 3.3.5 to the new boxes is to build 3.3.5 on the new servers first. Then use BARS restore to move all the data info. Then use the CCM 4.2.3 Upgrade media. This is the only way to go with this type of migration.

Any other method will not be supported :(

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Bilal,

Yes, to do this properly you really need both sets of media. This is why it is always a great idea to save your media after a build. We have many versions of CCM in our lab just in case.

Thanks for the nice words and rating! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rob

12 Replies 12

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bilal,

You can actually go straight from CCM 3.3.5 to CCM 4.2.x. The 3.3.5 to 4.2.x Upgrade Media Kit can be ordered via the Product Upgrade Tool (PUT) if you have a Smartnet contract. Have a look at the upgrade paths in this good doc;

Cisco CallManager Upgrade Paths

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008086cc7c.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Dear Rob;

If I am going to use Technology Refresh, so I will install CCM on separated hardware and update it with latest patches, then I will update it by the data taken from old version via the drivers, in that case: I will be able to take the data if the new machine contained 4.2(3) while old machine is 3.3(5)? Because when I read PUT, I understand that the upgrade will be on the same machine. What if the upgrade is Technology Refresh, then there is a possibility to migrate the data between these two versions?

Thanks a lot for your kindly help.

Regards

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

You are always welcome :) This method can be done as well. The best way to do this to migrate the data from 3.3.5 to the new boxes is to build 3.3.5 on the new servers first. Then use BARS restore to move all the data info. Then use the CCM 4.2.3 Upgrade media. This is the only way to go with this type of migration.

Any other method will not be supported :(

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob :)

This is also good and possible, but in that case I need to have the 3.3.5 Media CD, and the 3.3.5 to 4.2.3 upgrade CD to complete it, correct?

Regards

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

Yes, to do this properly you really need both sets of media. This is why it is always a great idea to save your media after a build. We have many versions of CCM in our lab just in case.

Thanks for the nice words and rating! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rob

The only remaining thing really if u can help, I would highly appreciate is the upgrade for my IPIVR as it is now 3.1(3) and I need to move to 4.0(4) and I do not know if it is possible to be done directly or should pass through another version, I searched on cisco but did not find any document to declare for me that, so I can depend on it.

Last issue, in these upgrades, I have to upgrade the original OS for the application (CCM or IPIVR) then in the new machine I should make the OS and application version the same, then I migrate data using the BARS and after that I upgrade, correct? I mean this also for IPIVR?

Regards

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

Here is a clip from a good upgrade doc;

"If you are running Cisco CRS 3.x, you can upgrade directly to Cisco CRS 4.0(4)."

Here is the doc;

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6488/c1097/ccmigration_09186a00806690b2.pdf

You should build the new box with the exact OS, CCM Version and Patches as your existing box. Then restore using BARS. Upgrade CCM and OS after the new CCM initial build has been completed.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Big Thanks, it answers my question.

Last check :) -

Rcommended to do OS upgrade for the highest possible OS on the original machine (that has the old version)?

Regards

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to find the right documents for this exact upgrade. The OS on the existing CCM should match what will end up being built on the new boxes. The only requirement for CCM 4.2.3 seems to be that the OS is 2000.2.4sr10 or greater. Here is the info I was trying to secure;

Upgrading Cisco Unified CallManager Release 4.2(3)

Replacing the Cisco Unified CallManager Publisher Database Server During the Cisco Unified CallManager 4.2(3) Upgrade

Perform the following procedure:

Step 1 Perform Step 2 through Step 6 for the existing Cisco Unified CallManager publisher database server.

Performing Tasks on the Existing Cisco Unified CallManager Publisher Database Server (Required)

Step 2 Record all network configuration settings, including the computer name, network card speed and duplex, IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS, and WINS for the current system. Record the configuration of the servers in the existing cluster; record all software versions, Cisco CallManager services, coresident applications, and plugins, so you can reinstall them after the upgrade.

Step 3 If you are replacing a server with four drives, Cisco recommends that you set the trace directory path on the server to the default C: drive. Refer to Cisco Unified CallManager Serviceability Administration Guide.

Step 4 Refer to the document, Cisco IP Telephony Backup and Restore System (BARS) Administration Guide, to perform the following tasks. To obtain the most recent version of this document, go to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/backup/index.htm.

a. Install and configure BARS 4.0(7) (or later) on the publisher database server; reboot the server.

b. Back up the existing Cisco Unified CallManager data.

Caution Make sure that you back up the data to a network directory or a local tape device.

After you perform a backup, do not make any changes to the existing publisher database server. Any changes that you make after a backup will not exist in the new database.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 5 Copy the HOST and/or LMHOST files from C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC to the network directory where the backed-up data is stored. You can perform this task on a floppy drive.

Step 6 Power off the Cisco Unified CallManager publisher database server and disconnect it from the network.

Please see next post..........

From previous .......

Preparing the New Publisher Database Server

Step 7 Connect the new server to the network and power on the server. By using the Cisco-provided operating system disks, install operating system version 2000.4.2sr10 on the new publisher database server that has no data on it. To obtain the operating system documentation, go to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/iptel_os/index.htm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution During the operating system installation, make sure that you choose the New Installation or Server Replacement option. You must enter the exact computer name and network configuration information as the publisher database server that runs Cisco Unified CallManager. Do not check the I am recovering a system from backup check box. Do not join the new publisher database server to a Windows domain. Joining the domain causes the Cisco Unified CallManager installation to fail.

Step 8 Use Cisco Unified Communications Server Operating System OS Upgrade Disk that ships with Cisco Unified CallManager to upgrade the Cisco-provided operating system to version 2000.4.2sr10. Before you perform the upgrade, be sure to read the operating system readme information that is posted on the operating system cryptographic software page. You can navigate to the site from the Cisco Unified CallManager software page at http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/sw-voice.shtml.

Step 9 Download and install the latest Cisco Unified Communications Server Operating System service release (2000.4.2sr10 or later). The operating system service releases post on the voice products operating system cryptographic software page. You can navigate to the site from the Cisco Unified CallManager software page.

For installation instructions, refer to the file-specific readme document, Cisco Unified Communications Operating System, SQL Server, Security Updates, and Installing the Operating System on the Cisco Unified Communications Applications Server. To obtain the most recent version of these documents, go to http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/sw-voice.shtml.

Step 10 Download and install the latest OS-related security hotfixes, if any.

Step 11 Copy the HOST and/or LMHOST files to C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC on the new publisher database server; reboot the server.

Step 12 Obtain the document Installing Cisco Unified CallManager Release 4.2(3). Go to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/index.htm to obtain the most recent version.

Step 13 While referencing Installing Cisco Unified CallManager, install the same version of Cisco Unified CallManager that is installed on the old server. Configure the new server with the same settings as the old server.

Caution You must install the same version of Cisco Unified CallManager on the new server as was installed on the old server.

Step 14 Restore the database on the new server.

Step 15 Install all locales on the new server that were installed on the old server.

Step 16 Upgrade the new server to Release 4.2(3).

Step 17 Restore the backed-up data to the new publisher database server. To obtain the backup and restore utility documentation, go to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/backup/index.htm.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00807202cc.html#wp1039355

Hope this helps!

Rob

Dear Rob;

Really thanks for your kindly help and reply.

What is the difference between step 14 and step 17?

Also, why to use the BARS? It is not possible to do normal backup and restore for MSSQL database of the CallManager? What BARS help in that, so I will need it instead of doing normal backup and restore?

Hey Bilal,

Nice to hear from you again (and you know that you are most welcome!)

This clip from the Documentation is obviously wrong as we both know that you cannot use a BARS backup between versions of CCM. (stick with Step 14 only)!

BARS is the Cisco supported Backup and Restore Utility (it used to be under a different name which is probably where your reference comes from) but YES use the proper BARS Utility and you should be good to go :)

Take care and I hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: