cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can LMS 2.6 use Device Name from MIB for Auto discovery??

paul.coley
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know for the devices that are not in DNS..can CW discover a devices name by using it's configured hostname in the MIB?

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes and no. You can configure Device Discovery to use sysName when attempting to resolve a management IP and hostname, but that sysName must be either in DNS or in a local hosts file for it to be used. So, while you don't need _DNS_, you do need something that can resolve the sysName to an IP address.

I have added a hosts file and it looks better now....I have also deleted the devices that were discovered in RME and DCR before the host file add. These devices were only showing there IP address as the display name. But when I rediscover now...CM looks fine (included host name/IP) but DCR and RME still show just IP's.

Edit NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/DeviceDiscovery.properties, and add:

nameserver.updateDCRDisplayName=true

Then perform a rediscovery.

I have devices populated into DCR by using a host file locally on the machine. Devices are not being populated into RME. I have rebooted the server and still do not see any of the DCR devices into RME. Is there a way that I can resync or re-import into RME? Is there a log that can tell me why I am not seeing devices in RME?

By default, RME auto-manages all devices in DCR. If you've disabled this under RME > Admin > Device Mgmt > Device Management Settings, then you need to manually manage the devices under RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: