Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for Suggestions on Network Performance Testing/Traffic Generation

daswafford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution/product/application to perform network load & performance testing. Specifically I'd like to be able to generate a wide variety of traffic types and also monitor deep down the transactions between say a server and an endpoint to measure the responsiveness of the application on the network. I'm primarily going to be using this to test the performance of remote sites, which connect to the main side via DS3 connection.

I would like feedback as to what is being used by others in the industry to perform this type of testing.

Thank you for your input,

David.

2 Replies 2

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Traffic GeneratorsGenerate multi-protocol traffic streams and raw packet rates used to model the rate across any particular link utilizing specific protocols. Users can specify the source, destination MAC, and socket numbers, These values can be incremented at specified steps or can be configured to be static/fixed or in random increments. Traffic enerators can generate the packets for the following protocols:

IP

Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX)

DECnet

Apple

Xerox Network Systems (XNS)

Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)

Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)

Connectionless Network Service (CLNS)

User Datagram Protocol (UDP)

Virtual Integrated Network Service (VINES)

Data Link Packets

for more info:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk869/tk769/technologies_white_paper09186a00800a998b.shtml

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

We use a small app called Qcheck from www.ixia.com for simple capacity testing on lines. It seems fairly accurate.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: