Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LDAP routing and DNS combination

for outgoing devilvery is it possible to combine both LDAP Routing and DNS?

IE. to send out abc.com that exist on LDAP, it will be delivered using LDAP Routing and for domain that is not exists on LDAP, use DNS instead.

TIA

6 Replies 6

I think this is the default. If no routing information is found in LDAP it will route normally. (If SMTP routes are configured use those, if not do an MX lookup, if that fails use a A lookup, if that fails (after 4 days by default) bounce the mail home)

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,
is it possible to bypass the ldap routing and use smtproutes instead?

You don't have to use LDAP routing at all, you can use the SMTProutes when you have static delivery. There is no need to LDAP routing unless your company has many different backend systems for people in the same domain with there mail box on different physical servers.

So - yes you can.

Mark

We want to keep users record in our LDAP but like to use static delivery using SMTProutes.

In this case although i.e domain abc.com exists and has a mailHost attribute in LDAP routing, we don't want to use it but use static delivery using smtproutes instead.

Doc_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

In this case although i.e domain abc.com exists and has a mailHost attribute in LDAP routing, we don't want to use it but use static delivery using smtproutes instead.

That's the default behaviour. To enable LDAP routing you need to specifically enable it (and configure a LDAP query to use to find the relevant attribute).

If you haven't explicitly enabled it, then SMTP Routes will be used to forward on the mail.

If you haven't explicitly enabled it, then SMTP Routes will be used to forward on the mail.

fyi, this is for our outbond delivery (not incoming). This is what I have just tested.

domain.com is in our LDAP, and I'd like to usedns instead of LDAP.routing. domain.com mx records should be somewhere in the internet.

LDAP query test results:
Query: LDAP.routing
Address: suwarna@domain.com
Action: reroute
Reroute to recipients: - (host: servers.cbn.net.id)

In smtproutes:

domain.com: usedns

In mail_logs:
Wed Nov 7 18:57:44 2007 Info: LDAP: Reroute query LDAP.routing MID 429897525 RID 0 address suwarna@domain.com to [('suwarna@domain.com', 'servers.cbn.net.id')]
Wed Nov 7 18:57:44 2007 Info: LDAP: Mailhost query LDAP.routing address suwarna@domain.com to servers.cbn.net.id
Wed Nov 7 18:57:44 2007 Info: MID 429897526 ICID 0 RID 0 To:

Although I have already specified to usedns, the message still delivered using LDAP.routing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: